Friday, November 14, 2008

What IS it?!

I swear. On Sunday night I made it my quest (evidently, as you can read here) to get to bed by midnight every night this week. The calendar allowed for such an indulgence of rest.

As of Thursday, here's how I've been spending each evening, generally in this order:

1) Whatever I may be doing otherwise with my evening, I think of an awesome blog topic. 

(Tonight, it was about my 30-something girlfriends who are each at different places in their lives and how cool it is that we can be 30-somethings and be so many different things....homeowners, Peace Corps directors in Nicaragua, new mothers, writing students, opera singers, etc.)

2) Actually compose the entry in my head because the topic is so cool. Don't take notes, because the prose is so kick-ass I'll certainly not forget it in the order I imagine it.

3) Continue on with my evening of singing, or running, or downing champagne cocktails at Eastern Standard under the eye of yet another flirtatious bartender. (Who overtly reined in his act when a FWaB joined me for the oyster course. For fun, let's pretend he was disappointed. Tuesday night was, thankfully, that kind of fun.)

4) Get home between at 11 p.m. and swear to God above I will sit down and write the blog and indeed curl up with the cats by 12 bells.  Think this has to be easy, because the entry is all written! (See #2.)  And the tongue has been lubricated by a pint of oatmeal stout and/or not one, but two champagne cocktails. (See #3.)

5) Go online and start reading the Times. Download today's podcasts from Talk of the Nation. Check my Facebook account. Soon realize it is 12:20 a.m. and I haven't yet visited the blog. Much less written anything. Or gone to sleep. Brood a bit.

6) Mutter to self about how silly it is again to be sitting here again, so late. Go to the cupboard for the GoLean and start pulling handfuls out of the box. Go back to the cupboard and top it off with 5 handfuls of raisins.  Brood a bit more. Flip through the new Harper's magazine. Realize that all that cereal and sweet fruit makes me feel kind of nauseated. Simultaneously remember that I've also completely blown the good-eating schedule I (also) signed off on Sunday night.

7) Finally at 12:55 a.m., complete a entry about how tomorrow, I'll be better about going to get to sleep on time, after (of course) writing a blog entry on a topic that is not a list of the silly things I did tonight instead of going to sleep on time.

So I guess that means I'll be writing about the ladies tomorrow, eh? 

Forever and ever, Amen.

No comments: