Saturday, November 1, 2008

Insomnia, Part XXI

I'm going to do something I vowed on my blog bible never to do: write a post about how I can't manage to write a post.

Seriously. I started an entry 8 hours ago about a conversation with my new co-worker: Chris, a 25-year-old platitudinous sales rep. Who, out of nowhere yesterday, started giving me a hard time for using "big words" when talking about Schwab custody accounts....like "nebulous." How I like the guy and how it was funny the first time. And then when an hour later he called me out for using "quintessential." I was convinced that the Republican presidential ticket's habit of mocking the "educated elite" had permeated the annals of finance.

Truly, I think Chris was just trying to make a connection, share some levity. (Oy vay, big word.) I should probably work on my sense of humor.

But it's a symptom of my insomnia of late. Like 21 days of late. I'm just tired, and therefore the brain is tired.....which means writing good blog entries is more difficult. Being witty during co-worker bonding moments is worse. Sleeping a good night's sleep is the hardest. Which explains why I've got the laptop out at 1:57 a.m. when I have to get up in 5 hours and drive to the Cape with Claudia.

The good news is, I'm driving out with Claudia for good reason; she has a house in Truro on a bluff overlooking Cape Cod Bay. She needs to do some clean-up work on her property. I'm looking to help her, and I'm looking to walk on the beach, in hopes that the sea air gets me back on a sleep schedule. And keeps me from thinking I should, instead, be in Boston or New Hampshire with the Southie gang, getting out the vote.

To assuage any guilt (and use one last big word) for skipping town on election weekend....and to not ignore yesterday's holiday, I present to you.....Dracula, exercising his civic duty: Trick or Vote.

And finishing now allows me to hit the hay. Or try to.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hereby officially homologate your use of big words. By no means should someone be mocked or chided into not using them by another who either is unfamiliar with the word or feels insecure in the presence of. I mean, really, take the chance to learn!! Step up, co-worker, it might boost your sales to be a bit more profligate in your word choice.

Karin said...

Thanks Cousin J. New vocab words for the next entry!