Friday, November 28, 2008

Thanksgiving, II

Love (and not just of plasma televisions on sale for Black Friday) had a banner week in Boston.

Three couples I know became engaged, one each on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday. Two of the guys are two of my closest friends and told me last week about the proposals--although only the imminent deeds, not the details.

The first announcement of acceptance came via e-mail Wednesday: "....we'll probably not make it to Thanksgiving dinner....and by the way, we're getting married!!!"

"I am...betrothed. Is it okay to announce that on facebook?" This was another woman-friend's social network status update Wednesday night.

Yesterday afternoon I got text message from the third: "She said YES! :-)"

Funny, at 35 I actually thought I had passed through the wedding season of my life....the Post-College Rush followed by the Late-20's Rush. Until this week, 2008 was definitely on track to be the Year of Friends' Babies: 5 births, 3 known pregnancies in-progress, lots of social schedules that have dramatically shifted as a result.

(Is it only single, child-free folks who count these stats so assiduously? Or is it only single, child-free folks who have the time to count?)

Nonetheless, good news for all. None of the 3 engagements were ultimately a surprise, and there was rabid giddiness all around. And thusly, 2009 is shaping up to be Wedding Central and we haven't even gotten to Christmas yet, or New Year's. (Next question: will airfares continue to stay low until ceremony dates are chosen?)

I must say, I feel like a gauntlet has been thrown down.

(Yes, we're talking to you, single girl.)

No comments: