Monday, November 3, 2008

Late nights, early mornings (cont.)

Today, 6:00 a.m.:

Biked to the gym. Ran 3 miles through the Back Bay with a 12 other women from the gym. Kept up with the fastest one and finished a minute ahead of everyone. Proved lack of arm strength during subsequent strong-arm power yoga class for 45 minutes. Picked up a very tall coffee and hit the office.

Then spent the rest of the workday propping open proverbial eyelids. Wow. This is some tired like I haven't known since pulling journalistic all-double-nighters back at the Pipestone County Star. And that was 10 years ago.

(Guess I failed to mention that I stayed up until 2 a.m. last night. Ugh.)

Tomorrow, 6:30 a.m.:

Going to try and put my mouth where my heart is and spend the day campaigning for the candidate who will-not-be-named because you know who he is. My Southie gang is doing what's called "visibility" during rush hour at (i.e., obnoxious sign-waving) at South Station, the major transit center feeding Boston's Financial District. Later, after doing my real job for awhile, I'll go back and be one of those phone-banking types. Then hopefully tomorrow night will find some folks with a television who want to drink beer and watch returns.

Long day ahead.

It's good this thing will be over soon. Not just for the tension and oversaturation and perpetual fatigue, but because it's just ugly.

Leaving the office tonight, I stepped into my manager's office. I had already cleared this half day-off tomorrow for election stuff, which he approved last week without comment. He is one of the most affable and practical people in my life. We've worked together for 5 years and in that time, had maybe 3 unpleasant exchanges.

Tonight was number 4. Started when, as I reminded him I'd be in late tomorrow, he quipped:

"Yeah, working hard to see Obama lose?"

I wasn't about to back off and sniped back. He returned fire, and we both started yelling. Fifteen long minutes later he walked to the elevator, calling over his shoulder:

"I'll see you Wednesday, after you've been crying all Tuesday night. You're going to be so disappointed."

Sorry man, I was disappointed tonight. Why this inability to just have a civil discussion?

That's what I get, I guess, for trying to be a Democrat in finance.

Here's to a hopeful (and more well-rested) Tuesday.

2 comments:

singinflute said...

Democrat in Finance...? They exist? :)

Karin said...

Unreal, I agree.

The bond trader who used to sit next to me....there was a period in September where we swapped Palin frustrations.

Other than that, I tend to keep it to myself.