Sunday, November 23, 2008

Birthday Shout-Out: JBD

On the coldest day of the fall thus far, I enjoy recalling the steamiest October day of 2007.....85 degrees is just what you want for running a 13-mile race, consisting entirely of hills, and for which you are unprepared.

Saturday celebrated 30 candles for Justin, who was equally unprepared, yet still legged out that sweaty Applefest Half-Marathon alongside me in Hollis, NH. It was the fifth race we did together in as many years. It is with some irony that today he was supposed to run the Philadelphia Marathon to celebrate his milestone birthday. Yet Justin did what he does best: he got too busy and had to postpone.

See, Justin is my friend who does it all. Works full time in corporate sales. Starts a theatre company and acts in many others. Finds a plaid wool coat with professor patches on the elbows, for almost no price, at a secondhand store and makes it look good. Has a tastefully decorated apartment and a stunning, talented girlfriend to share it with. Cooks turkeys. Makes homemade pie crusts. Buys an accordion on eBay and teaches himself to play it. Sings in musical revues with friends like me. Runs road races with friends like me.

And last March, he drove up from where he now lives in New Jersey simply to take me out for a drink and celebrate my milestone birthday with me.

Even though these birthday wishes are tardy, my love for Justin is sincere. Since I always used to think he was the male version of me.....perhaps he'll understand that I was just too busy to be on time today.

Cheers!

1 comment:

Justin said...

Just read this...and truly, truly very touched. Best Birthday shout out, by far.

Hoping to see you this week!

(The Male version of Karin)