Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Hopefulness, thankfulness

Tuesday found me so listless at work that the following tasks were too arduous to complete: 1) entering a client's accountant name into a contact database; 2) printing labels for new account files; 3) remembering to eat lunch; or 4) phoning my parents. 

Today was different. Maybe it was the extra-bold extra-large Sumatra that doubled as breakfast. Or the third straight up-market day. Or that the office cleared out for the weekend starting at 1 p.m. Or, funny, six hours of sleep the night before. (Yes, sleep occasionally helps matters.) 

Whatever the case, not dissing the mood shift to this hopeful productivity.  I first noticed it during a particularly challenging power yoga class at lunch:  to some surprise, I executed 20-some chaturanga dandasanas without complaint or loss of stamina. That's a lot of suspended low push-ups, folks, and a surprising lot.

When I got back to work, I swept through the pile of undone schmaltz on my desk. Then I paid bills, signed up for my 2009 flexible benefits, and uploaded pictures from 2002 onto my Facebook account.  I ran down the street in my high heels to the Thanksgiving Eve church service. 

All the while, I thought about how I had Friday night free, and how I had Saturday night free, and that I should write Tim, John or A or M and see who wanted to go "out" out.....like strap on the knee boots and go dancing-with-naughty-beverages-"out" and see what happens. I thought, maybe I should write that long, friendly note to the CFO that has been on the brain since October 21....using the magnanimity of the holiday to finally explain why I never wrote him back when he asked. 

Hopeful. Hmm.  Slogan and results of the Obama election aside, I can't think of the last time hope was my prevailing emotion. And I can't tell you, or even myself, why. But I'll take it. Whether or not I run with it.....will have to get back to you there....

No comments: