Wednesday, November 12, 2008

BBC 1: Dancing on Broadway

The first in a series of occasional vignettes on why--despite thousands of empty styrofoam coffee cups blowing around its boulevards at any given time--Boston can be an OK place to hang out.....Bodacious Big City (BBC).

Tonight, I walked home from church choir. As I crossed the Jimmy Kelly Bridge into Southie, my iPod randomly selected the most bodacious walking accompaniment of all time: "Wanna Be Startin' Somethin'".

From Michael Jackson's Thriller. Ma ma se ma ma sa ma ma coo sa? Anyone?

It is not fair just how much more I like this song than any other song on earth. It comes on, I dance. Thirty-eight degrees and 9:38 p.m., and I danced the full mile up West Broadway from Dorchester Ave to Dorchester Street. Complete with cheerleading arms, step aerobics arms, white-girl-trying-to-be-funky arms, yoga prayer hands, backwards strides.

Southie already has a reputation as an anything-goes place. (Home to Whitey Bulger and all.) It is now also a place where a 35-year-old woman in tennis shoes and wool coat can dance up the main drag......pass idling taxis, cars, open windows and pedestrians on their cell phones....and no one looks. They just walk by and let her dance.

Happiness.

2 comments:

singinflute said...

I love it!!! I wish I could've been one of those passing by to experience it. Here's a link for you...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wanna_Be_Startin'_Somethin'

Anonymous said...

Just out of curiosity...if a person of any age or gendre goes along Broadway snapping his/her fingers like the Jets and Sharks, would people on the main thoroughfare mind? (lol)