Thursday, August 6, 2009

Deep Thought: Keep Buying the Coffee

On Monday I had one of those moments.

You know, the moment where you're writing your rent check and debiting your American Express bill and your other credit card payment from checking and moving over cash from savings because you're recalling that your IRA deposit and gym membership both automatically withdraw before the next paycheck, just then realizing you still haven't bought your bridesmaid sandals for that wedding on August 29 and that you should replenish the cat litter, stat, and while going to get the litter notice that those squeaks emanating from the car brakes-when-stepped-on are probably not the best and, besides, that baby hasn't had an oil change since April, and how you still want to be able to visit the Copley Farmers Market on Fridays and maybe, just maybe, go up to Singing Beach on Saturday, but there is only so much money in savings and there are still 10 more days to paycheck, and then, just then, the landlord writes you quite seriously about the broken washing machine in your basement that for many reasons he wants you to help pay to replace, and you think, I know I am spending way too much at Starbucks and Dunkin' Donuts to get my espresso-iced-coffee every morning and from now on, until the end of time, I am going to brew my own iced coffee and keep it in a pitcher in my fridge and add my own half-and-half and put it in a mug and bring it from home and and save that 20 bucks a week.

When you come upon these moments and then you actually try to make your own iced coffee and then you drink it and you want to spit it back in the sink, I implore you.

Keep buying the coffee.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

It sounds from this post and previous posts that you should evaluate whether you can afford to live where you live.

Anonymous said...

As a home iced coffee brewer, I say try again. Get the good beans from Trade Joe's, and make the ice cubes out of coffee sowhen they melt they don't dilute your coffee. It is possible to make great ice coffee at home, and it saves a TON of cash...saves me $50 a week easily on my coffe habit.

Bill

Marvel Boy said...

First off, know that I cut way back on Starbucks and the like ... a year or two ago, I got one of those small metal Bialetti urns--if you brew with decent espresso and pour the whole little pot over a cup full of ice (and add a little sugar and cream, if you like), you'll be in heaven.

Second, I take umbrage at your landlord's expectation that you help pay for the washing machine. That sounds absolutely ridiculous. May I take up your cause? I'm very good at writing angry tenant emails in other people's stead. :)

Karin said...

@anonymous. Yes, I could do that. But what fun would that be?

@Bill. $50 a week? That's like 20 coffees. Give me your "great" recipe, if you would

@Joshua. Claudia gave me her old espresso maker, so I might be in luck. I promise to experiment more fully this weekend.

Meanwhile, I'm going for one last DD iced coffee this afternoon, I think.

The washing machine saga (not related anywhere on this blog because of its sheer mundane glory)is probably left best to my own powers of argumentation, but I appreciate you (always) as advocate.