Friday, August 14, 2009

Birthday Shout-Out: Nica Girl

My homegirl Cousin J -- who does things like invite me to D.C. to attend "creatively dressing" inaguration balls (see above) and loan me orange leotards to fit in, and is always willing hash out every sordid up-and-down of every attempted interaction with the male species ever (even though she now has a man of her own and the peace that goes with that certainty), and survives not one but 2 break-ins to her house in Managua, losing 2 laptops and her hiking shoes, with the self-admonition "it's just stuff" and goes on climbing volcanoes in some other shoes, and who speaks fluent Spanish and half-fluent Russian and lived in Chile for a couple years after growing up near me in a one-stoplight town in North Dakota and whose energy as a toddler I was mortally afraid of and whose energy and intelligence and drive to change the world as an adult astounds me -- is turning 34 today.

Send the love vibes down to Nicaragua, everyone!

4 comments:

Tashia said...

Yay J! I hope celebrating the bday with the parents in nica is half as lovely as this shout-out your dear cousin gave you!

Happy Bday dear!

Tashia said...

i think i meant twice as lovely but wrote half... ah, well you both will understand my sentiments right? b and d in the house super cool. shout-out here also super cool!

Anonymous said...

@Karin. !Felices cumpleanos a su prima! Buena suerte en Managua.

cousin j said...

gosh, thanks, i'm blushing!