Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Ah ... hormones. Yes.

This morning, an e-mail from a friend who frequently joins me on Fridays, her day off, at the farmers market:
From: A
To: Karin

Subject: reminder

Go to Copley Market. Buy yourself some flowers so you can enjoy them this week at your desk. Be good to yourself.
A had thought to recall our conversation the Friday before. While lingering at one farmstand, I had complained about never remembering to buy flowers at the market on Tuesdays, to have them in my office for the remainder of the week. (With 2 cats who eat leafy plants on sight, they would never survive in my apartment over a weekend.)

So to honor A's request, this afternoon I went out into the heat and came back with some organic dahlias.


While out buying said flowers from said stand, I couldn't help remembering that I was doing this thanks to the concerns of a friend, worried about my lack of cheerfulness, generally, as of late.

Then I noticed was how cheerful everyone else I encountered was. How the cabby on St. James stopped, backing up traffic, to let me cross the street. How the Starbucks girl made a :-) on the Frappuccino cup next to my name. How the boy at the flower stand teased me into smiling and his co-worker, a girl, told me as I paid, "What a beautiful dress! And so comfortable-looking!"

Which is why, naturally, walking back along St. James with my flowers, I started crying. Audibly enough so that I held my breath while passing the crowd in the bus shelter. But just beyond, the street felt private behind my Jackie O sunglasses, and the tears followed me through the Hancock lobby and up in the elevator, to the office kitchen as I searched for a vase, only abating at the point where I thought the Small Cap Relative Value team was going to stop their conference and ask after me.

And I don't really know why.

It was not the first time I've had this reaction -- severe self-pity in the face of severe kindness.

I just wish I understood it.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

@Karin. Tears of joy, probably. I think it was Anne Frank who wrote, under the worst possible conditions, that people are basically good. We simply need to be reminded of that once in a while.

Justin said...

Yes, I concur with squigkato.... Often times, in bouts of despair or feeling blue; we can't possibly understand how anyone could feel happy or good. More over, when they actually ARE cheerful, friendly, giving people...no matter how upset or despressed we might be, we end up feeling a little better, even when we might have assumed a smile was impossible. Lots of love your way...

Anonymous said...

Someone from a eastern perspective might see that as a release from a stagnated emotional - very healthy!