Saturday, March 7, 2009

Karin....your resident break-up antidote

Well sports fans, it's happened again. 

Man hits on Karin, who responds, and the two get on splendidly.  Karin goes out on a date with man. Karin likes hanging, talking with the man, finds him interesting and attractive, expects maybe they'll see each again.  Man says he likes hanging with Karin, also. There is discussion of future outings.

Then man decides that it's a good time to reunite with an earlier flame.  The end. Poof.

So Karin is once again the cure for a previously untenable situation.  For, like, the 4th time in the last 2 years.

This time it was the Young Scientist.  In these days following our first outing last Sunday, we had fairly involved, personal e-mail and chat conversations.  Then Friday, during an exchange about my "twingey" ankle pain, he tells me this week he also went on a date with a girl he had gone out with this fall, but broke off with before Christmas.  He wrote:
"She was like, 'if we are going to see each other you can't see other people.'  I'm not sure if she knows that I am seeing other people. I'm not sure how i feel about the whole thing but I might end up taking her up on it.

"And why do I mention this to you?  because I wanted to hook up again (with you) but that might not happen."
Tonight, while on OKCupid, I noticed he, today, removed his profile pictures.  Curious.  So I clicked on his profile....and it's been stripped to bare bones.  And he changed his status from "single" to "seeing someone."

To be clear -- it's not like I thought the Young Scientist and I were even dating.  It's more my incredulity that on Sunday he was on a date with me, and talking of how he had moved on from pre-Christmas woman.  I didn't know where he and I might be going, but I was on board and ready to roll with it.

So meh. 

I don't wish him any ill. (Actually, I can't comfortably wish him any ill....he's got this blog address.)  In our brief acquaintance he was always blunt....sometimes startlingly so.  Guess this is just more of the same.  And, as always, frankness trumps ambiguity in the world of dating.

In the meantime I'm wondering if, on my online profile, I should advertise myself as the perfect date for those wanting to reunite with an ex.   

Or not.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Karin:

Know the feeling. Always being fixed up with women "on the mend". Must be because I wear glasses as well; therefore, family and friends assume I'll act as a de facto counselor. Never goes anywhere, of course. (Tip: always go out Dutch.)

Karin said...

@squigkato.

Yes, what _is_ it about how people's impressions about you depend on God-given vision?

Oh, but YS in this case asked me out. He paid for dinner no question. For which I had no problem.

(Except that at the end of the night he ran off with my lo mein leftovers. That's what I get for dating runners....!)