Sunday, March 29, 2009

A brief recap

Wow. This is the first time in the history of this blog (or, truly, in the history of me) that I've had enough dating activity going on that it seems impossible to take the time to reflect.....just head from one situation to the next.

Crazy!

(And frankly, a bit strange. And perhaps unsustainable....)

So meanwhile, I'm running off now to hear my friend B in a concert, and then have dinner. But here are the very short stories thus far.

1) Thursday -- The Artist of the Western Suburbs.

My rehearsal ran late....and he was several beers into his evening by the time we met up. So the conversation was rather uneven, he had a habit of continually touching my leg when making a point, and really tried to kiss me as we said goodbye, which I politely rebuffed.

As he put it in an e-mail the next day:

"It was great meeting you, I do extend an apology: I am of the opinion that buzzed people and sober people really should not mix, especially on a first meeting.
The relatively good rapport and his response acknowledging the slight screw-up are worth a second meeting, as I replied to him, "where we both start on equal footing."

2) Friday -- The CFO.

Two hours of raucous conversation over martinis at River Gods (incidentally, the site of our first date in July.) Two more hours of raucous making-out at my apartment.

As always, a high-quality good time. I marvel, again, that we have such agreeable personal and physical chemistry.

The big news from this night is that he asked if he could read my blog. And I, after 6 months of holding out, agreed to let him. Will this change the dynamic going forward? Remains to be seen.

3) Saturday -- C, the coffee date.

One of my friends had told me C hasn't had a girlfriend in the past because he's completely enwrapped in his career. I laughed, thinking that someone was just making excuses. Then, when I contacted him to coordinate our outing last night to a party, here was his response:

".....I truly had every intention of going, and I was looking forward to having more time to talk with you...I really enjoyed our conversation about life balance, etc., and I think I need to have more of those conversations with you! My only problem is that I have a few things due for work next week on a big project I am involved in, and I need to spend a bunch of time working this weekend (yes, even tonight for a few hours)......"
I'm sure the irony of working on a Saturday night while in the same sentence saying he enjoyed our "what is an appropriate life-work balance" conversation will hit him at some point.

So I went to the party alone.....but enjoyed my time with the 70-80 very friendly people there. All good.

4) Sunday -- 22-y.o. OKC "cuddler."

We met this afternoon at a Dunkin' Donuts in Brookline. We chatted a bit, then hung out a bit more in his dorm-style apartment nearby.

We were better at the online chatting than the in-person chat turned out to be.....seems it is only in person that the age difference manifested its teeth. He was sweet, and not unkind, but we probably had our one date.

Meanwhile, a banner from his prep school hung over the window showing his graduation year....as 2005.

That was a moment of sober.

5) So anyway...

Off to my concert! Reflection, perhaps, to follow. Tomorrow.

No comments: