Thursday, February 5, 2009

Up against the wall....

.....to see what sticks.

That's the mantra for tonight. Throwing away. Typing like mad. What else is there to do in the bitter cold of a night when drinks with the marathon training team fell through? Now I'm unneccessarily jumped up on Nutter Butters, confident in that usual way I am the first 3 days on a dating website....you know, crucial to strike when I'm still the fresh meat and sharks are circling, etc. etc.

In this order, I:

1) Wrote a response to last night's Red-Hot Aries on Match. He's a drummer in a rock band. This one was easy....I just had to ask him what kind of Aries he was....

Then a message to a law student from Cambridge whose eyes, literally, pierced holes in my screen. Really. Gorgeous. Blond. Way too young. (And I thought I had sworn off law students.)

Then to a tall drink from Peabody who promised that cooking was a passion. Amazingly, I can tell you already this one is in the tank. He wrote back 5 minutes later....a speed atypical of most Matchers:

To: Cooking Man
From: Karin
Date received: February 5, 2009
Subject: Is that karaoke you're singing?


Hey there -So I was browsing along last night and thought, hmmm, that's a nice-looking man. And then I scrolled to the next picture....and, is it true? Are you singing dive bar karaoke? Dude! You must share.....what were you singing and how well did you nail it?!

To: Karin
From: Cooking Man


Stand-up comedy actually...not a huge fan of karaoke...and yeah I killed the night.

My second straight pretentious comedian with zero sense of humor. Blech.


2) Scoped for a half-hour on OK Cupid....and wrote one of my scopees, eventually.....the one with the awesome chin stubble.

Here's a reason I already enjoy this site: the correct term for for viewing other member's profiles is "stalking."

So, more accurately, I stalked several be-stubbled liberals, a few with tattoos. Woo-hoo.


3) Finally, a new one, MeetinBoston: a social networking site where members plan random events around town and, well, you just meet up and see who you meet. Their weekly newsletter arrived via e-mail this evening.

I RSVP'd to attend happy hour at The Living Room on Saturday night, thrown by member Jason who claims "the martinis are excellent." The cost is "what you consume and possibly a rough Sunday a.m." Seven attendees are already on board.

Excellent, indeed.

The work's done for tonight, and it's off to bed before midnight for the first time this week. Back to you later with a report on what (if anything) stuck.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love it. You just compared dating to a wet noodle on the wall test. Perfect!!

Karin said...

Amen, sister.

It only took me 15 years to figure it out.

Anonymous said...

The planning random events and seeing who you meet sounds much more fun than the online stuff. Good luck!

Anonymous said...

Remember this promise you made 3 months ago? . . . . . . Thanks, by the way, for passing on the name of the gentleman you men in NC. I will confess that I have not written him (and have consequently not heard from him), but it is not for lack of interest, rather that so much was going on through October that it just swept to the back of my mind. I will go in the next week and check in with him. . . . . just checking to see what happening ... . . D

Karin said...

Touche, D.

No, I didn't write him. I keep forgetting these things. He can definitely be part of the wet noodle strategy. You will know when I've incorporated him.