Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Pitfalls and pratfalls

It's a common tale.

One chats away on e-mail with a new online acquaintance. She is me. He's a a serious academic...tall and shockingly handsome, writing in a bossy way....but a clever, take-charge way.

Sly humor is dished out, sly humor is returned. Chat is good. Photos are exchanged, photos are good. The chat continues. There is talk of a meeting, later. Suggestions are made.

So I ask for clarification on what later means, since the hour is already fairly late for social outings.
K: It sounds appealing....I would like to keep talking as well.....although do I throw you off stride if I'm not in a position to meet up tonight? That if we like each other and seem compatible I can ask for a rain check?

A: I am married so it has to be discreet and probably in the afternoon.
D'oh! Always.

At least he was upfront. Although, obviously, not nearly as upfront with some other (and certainly more) important folks in his life.

4 comments:

singinflute said...

D'oh is right! Uh...wow.

Anonymous said...

Yep, married doesn't mean much to some people. Better to find out now than later!

Justin said...

Ugh.....

Karin said...

Interesting to me is absence of guile. i.e....I'm married, deal with it, let's keep talking. He appears to have experience in such matters.