Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Tales of the OKC

Again.....must hit myself upside the head for buying 6-month membership to match.com 5 minutes before signing up for OKCupid.

Here's today's head-to-head action:

Match:  

3 profile views, 1 wink, 0 messages.

OKC: 

1) 3 separate IM chats, during work, with The Consultant from Lexington.  We swapped our dating histories with great aplomb. We have tremendous conversational rhythm.  We have a drinks date on Thursday.

2) Continued e-mail conversation with Will, an architect from Lima.  Peru. Who last week heard that I was interested in the poems of Jorge Luis Borges. Today he translated 2 of them for me into English.  Tonight we got on IM and discussed religion, the Nazis and our parents' ethnic backgrounds.  Tomorrow I'm reading the Borges poems, contacting him, and we're discussing.

3) Random hit on profile this afternoon from Strapping Blond Hunk (think: Owen Wilson), resulting in the following exchange....when I became too curious to look away:
SBH:  so pretty and feminine.....i wish i had someone like you to take to dinner when i go to boston for an interview? or look at pretty things.......

K:  that's kind.

K:  where do you come to Boston from?

SBH:  i live in manhattan.

SBH:  your skirt is soo pretty...... *blush*

K:  the skirt is pretty?

SBH:   yes

SBH: i have a soft feminine side.. *blush*
It went on. I will spare you. 

4) Drinks invite from a tall, dark Belgian Mathematician, a sweetheart, who runs 6-minute miles and with whom I had a spirited dissection of Tootsie.  A drinks invite tomorrow I can't make....due to church choir....but that I'm working to reschedule.

5) Finally, as I was typing this just before 1 a.m., a hello from CD, in Somerville. 

I contacted CD first, last week, because according to his profile, he has a thing for random Craigslist dates.  And he's lanky and smart ass, and cute. He liked that I have also have random Craigslist dates.  Thusly, he is convinced we must get out, get some beers, and share them and our stories with relish. Right this minute.

We began our chat at 1:03 a.m.
C:  Ahhh finally...it's my first time chatting with you! we have stories to share!

K:  Correctamundo! (as fonzie would say)

C:  fonzie would be right

C:  so, when drinks?

K:  So this weekend....

C:   Cause the way i look at it we have 50 minutes until bars close?

K:  Oh. Don't think me a cop out. But I'm in my pajamas.

C:   I'm sure there's bars where that's okay...

C:  I'm just up for doing something....and i like doing kinda random things

K:  I'm as random (and as up as they come) but might I rain check you this time.

C:  yeah yeah... famous last words

C: you're passing up the opportunity to meet some random guy for last call in PJs.... that's a shame!

K:  You realize I'm taking a far greater chance accompanying you....you being in boxers and all.

C:  If I worked at it I could find pajamas....and if you worked at it you could meet me somewhere

K:  Guilt-trip often?

C: just tonight

This went on for another 15 minutes. In which we discussed when JJ Foleys actually has last call. And how, if we did this on any other night, it would not be nearly as fun.

C:  tomorrow is a bad night for me.  Plus, that would be like making a plan. how random is that not!

K:   What this embrace of randomness? Is it the only merit?

C:   naw, not the ONLY one....but it's fun. but also you seem kinda cool. plus the PJs at bar thing...i mean, what's not to like?   ....but alas....

K:  I think also you are cool. Which is why I'm even indulging the idea...but alas...

C:  see, that's the point when you're supposed to say "oh f#$% it..." and just meet up.
I eventually talked him out of it.  At 1:48 a.m. So I could blog about it.

Sigh. Surely should have gone out. 

But perhaps 3 date invites and a proposition from a married, cross-dressing Manhattan banker constitute a full day....which I now need to go sleep on.

In the words of the Belgian Mathematician....ciao, ciao!

1 comment:

singinflute said...

Dear God do we need to catch up!