Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Re-Matched, and otherwise....

Tonight, I had no place to be for anyone else. This was good. So....

To the gym....5.5 miles on the treadmill at 8.2-minute miles, nothing hurting.

To the bus, then home. Snow and wind outside. Fireplace and stereo inside.

Then to the stove. Two helpings of rosemary sausage risotto washed down with the dregs of the pinot gris used to cook it. Red Hook Late Harvest Autumn Ale for dessert.

This was all very good.

Then, to the computer. Tonight I also re-upped the match.com membership. (No, it's true. Hold off on the cardiac arrest.) I'm revamping my profile as I drink....which is really the only way to go about it....since this is like writing a term paper.....who am I looking for, what's the last thing I read, life goals?....blah, blah, blah. Laboriousness reigns. Need to get past this step.

Meanwhile in a third web-browser window, I'm simultaneously putting down a profile on OKCupid.com. Less expensive--free, actually--and cheekier, which is more my mood tonight, so this profile will now get more of my attention. And will probably get even moreso the farther down I get into this bottle.

It's good to occasionally be in the mood for such activity.

Hmm. So in part I've been urged back into this dating pool by an outing with the CFO Sunday afternoon. No salicious details or make-out sessions in alleys. Just coffee at Peet's and the sun in our eyes and conversation about the Obama Inauguration and the financial climate.

We walked the side streets around Coolidge Corner linking arms like bosom friends, only then getting into our romances (or non-romances) of the last 4 months. Not surprisingly, we're both in less impulsive moods and places than the summer. And the resulting quality of our conversation was tame, guarded. Undramatic.

He was frank about the woman he saw, who moved to Africa, and who he now misses. I told him how lethargic I'd felt about dating lately, and rather helpless to help myself up and out. He advised me, much like a college professor might about a job search.

So....we left it with a kiss and a goodnight and I wrote him a note that night to say thanks.....but I haven't heard back yet. Not worried about it, either, and that itself is a weight off. Really. It seems important that we had a reunion....for me to realize that I still liked being with him but could live without him. I'm not sure what sense we still make....although if we wanted to, we definitely still could make sense on a certain level. I'm now waiting to see what he thought. But, let me be clear, I am not waiting around for it.

Amen.

The CFO is actually the one who mentioned OKCupid....the hodgepodge Facebook of dating websites.....as maybe a new place to spread out in. Haven't seen much of it yet, but got a glimpse of quizzes and chats and compatibility tests and randomness.....and, as I was pleased to see, a less earnest mood. Which seems just the way to dip the toes back into the water.

Oh, that those waters not be stagnant....(!)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Bosom friends"....like in "Anne of Green Gables. Nice.

Alissa said...

I must protest. I mentioned OKCupid sometime last year, early on in a comment on your blog. ;) It's a fun site. I think you'll get a kick out of it.

Karin said...

Sorry a....you must not have been shouting loud enough in my distracted ear....!

(you can certainly take the credit. I don't think the other guy is reading...)