Monday, September 22, 2008

Thirty-five point five.

Today is my half birthday. Tomorrow I will be closer to 36 than 35. Which means I'm one day closer to 40. Which, actually, is true of every day of my life for the next four years. Oy vay.

Being the middle of a workday, I'm not sure if I have the time to do a full reflection on what the first half of 35 hath wrought.

But in short, I:

Ran a marathon in 4:06.

Grew basil and grape tomatoes on my patio. (Have eaten both and not perished.) My impatiens and gerbera daisies also flourished.

Got over some serious heartache.

Became an aunt.

Went on two dates with a Bush Republican. Went on five dates with a man in his 50s.

Saw outstate New Jersey for the first time. Saw FDR's rose garden in Hyde Park, NY. Went another summer without seeing Maine.

Found a reason to become an voting activist.

Ate the equivalent of 14 jumbo bags of Reeses Pieces and only gained three pounds.

And discovered my favorite song in the universe (thanks, Dave C): Joni Mitchell's "A Case of You".

It is now the official "Single In The City" Theme Song.

Just before our love got lost you said
"I am as constant as a northern star"
And I said "Constantly in the darkness
Where's that at?
If you want me I'll be in the bar"

On the back of a cartoon coaster
In the blue TV screen light
I drew a map of Canada
Oh Canada
With your face sketched on it twice
Oh you're in my blood like holy wine
You taste so bitter and so sweet

Oh I could drink a case of you darling
Still I'd be on my feet
oh I would still be on my feet

Oh I am a lonely painter
I live in a box of paints
I'm frightened by the devil
And I'm drawn to those ones that ain't afraid

I remember that time you told me you said
"Love is touching souls"
Surely you touched mine
'Cause part of you pours out of me
In these lines from time to time
Oh, you're in my blood like holy wine
You taste so bitter and so sweet

Oh I could drink a case of you darling
And I would still be on my feet
I would still be on my feet

I met a woman
She had a mouth like yours
She knew your life
She knew your devils and your deeds
And she said
"Go to him, stay with him if you can
But be prepared to bleed"

Oh but you are in my blood
You're my holy wine
You're so bitter, bitter and so sweet

Oh, I could drink a case of you darling
Still I'd be on my feet
I would still be on my feet

Click here to hear Joni and her autoharp in action.

And happy half birthday to me.

3 comments:

Bill said...

Happy 1/2 birthday!

Joni Mitchell rules, good choice.

As for your Maine comment..are you saying you've never been? How is that even possible?

Karin said...

@Bill....oh yah.

It's sad, no?

It will be on the agenda for the second half of 35. You're welcome to drive if you want to come along...

singinflute said...

Same wishes from me...Happy 1/2 birthday! I have yet to figure out when mine is. It can't hurt having 2 birthday's to celebrate. So...road trip to Maine? :)