Thursday, September 4, 2008

Single in the City

***Note: Early Thursday morning I had wicked insomnia. Wicked. Until 4:30 a.m. and even then it wasn't good sleep. Something to do with eating a half-batch of chocolate-chip cookie dough and digesting comments on every politically-affiliated story on the New York Times website on a politically significant night. Somewhere in the midst I wrote the entry below but my computer battery bailed before I could post. Today I read it and am not sure I mean all of it. But I did sign up for the Obama event and, as of Thursday night, still plan to go.

Readers of this blog.....you know my political affiliation, as clearly as I wear it, but I've been determined to not get into drag-out partisan battles in this space. It is about the ups and down of dating.

Tonight, speakers at the Republican National Convention made me feel soiled for being a) educated; b) living in a city of diverse cultures; and c) a member of the media. They were sarcastic, angry, and mocking. They appealed to the basest instincts of fear. And what troubles me the most is the joyous manner in which the crowd egged on their anger.

I have to put in a plug for the RNC, though, because I suspect their anger may fuel my social life. Never before have I wanted to get more involved in a political campaign than this moment....Republican party leaders drive to make us fear each other has driven me to want to fight the fear.

I signed up today for an Obama in Massachusetts organizing event this weekend. To learn to knock on doors, make phone bank calls. Both of which I dislike.....but think I owe it to myself to try. And who knows, maybe I'll meet some folks who aren't so damn angry.

No comments: