Monday, September 15, 2008

Grassroots....a love story

So after one of the worst days ever on Wall Street, the Saturday canvassing for Obama in New Hampshire does seem a couple years ago.

It was good, though, primarily because it bolstered my growing belief in the effectiveness of grassroot politics.

I first met with the Southie for Obama group a week ago; 15 of us showed up with the intent of not cold-calling voters, but calling folks who somewhere along the way gave their phone number and said they might volunteer for either the Democratic party or for Obama himself. We were each asked that night to call 25 people over the course of 90 minutes. I did that....left about 20 messages, got a couple wrong numbers, talked to 3 people who were thrilled that a neighborhood group was mobilizing.

Pat, our gung-ho lawyer-leader, said it best when "rallying the troops" prior to the calls. Going grassroots is about exponential exposure. Making 25 phone calls to get 3 volunteers is just that: 25 calls for 3 volunteers. But if 15 people make 25 phone calls for 3 volunteers, that's 375 phone calls for 45 volunteers.

So if those 45 volunteers call 25 people at 3 volunteers a pop? That's 135 more volunteers gained. Who could each pick up another 3 volunteers. And then when you're looking for people to call old voters or register new voters as the election nears, you've got that many more bodies to help you.

It worked to inspire me. It made me want to call those 25 people for 3 volunteers, thinking about how my phone calls would contribute to the emergence of 400 volunteers for the same purpose. Kind of the same theory behind casting your one vote among millions of others to effect a political change.

It was that same drive that propelled me about going up to Manchester, New Hampshire on Saturday. New Hampshire is the "New England swing state"...small population but a lot of clout, considering its role as one of the first doors for both Democratic and Republic party primaries. Since Massachusetts is considered a Blue State Extraordinaire, if you're Democratic and want to help canvassing voters, you're instructed to go 60 miles north and find out where the neighbors stand.

Seeing the hundreds of people milling in Obama's Manchester headquarters waiting for marching orders from dozens of volunteer coordinators.....thinking back to the exponential power of each person doing a small part. The sight alone made it possible for me to join forces with fellow Bostonian Tom -- an IT professional from Dorchester -- and to knock on 55 doors in the Belmont Street neighborhood that afternoon.

Twenty-two folks answered. Fourteen supported Obama; those who supported McCain (4) were not unpleasant about it. The undecided voters (4) wanted literature. Every one of those folks shook my hand and allowed me to introduce myself. Where no one answered, we left a flyer.....and I felt good about those....because even if people didn't read it, they knew the campaign had a presence and was working to be visible.

I'll admit I was ridiculously relieved when we were done after three hours, despite all of the positives. It takes more cajones than I first thought to feel so strongly about something....but to be able to articulate it to a stranger standing on their porch. Yet I had Tom with me. I had 28 other folks from South Boston who carpooled up with me. I had 100's of others throughout Manchester that afternoon.

So Grassroots 101 took me in last week. Will I continue with it? To be continued.....

No comments: