Sunday, September 21, 2008

Date #3e: The man's got energy....and ideas....

The CFO and I had a good time on Thursday night. This is no surprise. We have always had a good time together. On this evening it was at Audubon Circle, across the turnpike from Fenway Park. It's a decent slinky nightspot....I wore a short skirt and heels, he a sports coat. We sat at the bar and started with a couple martinis apiece, and the conversation picked up commensurate to the liquor infusion:

The Democrats and Obama. The shared anti-love of Sarah Palin. The AIG bailout and his panicked roommate. Parking tickets. The three dates he had been on since we had last gone out.

(Or, admittedly, the three dates he was telling me about. I don't doubt that there were more. This man knows how to work Craigslist like a fool. One date with a woman who had extra tickets to Tanglewood; another with homeplate seats to the Red Sox and looking for a date.)

He asked me about what he calls "my personal life."

I admitted that I've been on the low end of dating enthusiasm these days. Getting involved with the Obama campaign had switched up my focus, that match.com wasn't really floating my boat anymore. To his credit, he didn't say or do anything to make me feel inferior for that--other than, perhaps, having a half-dozen women to juggle other than me, which is one reason we hadn't seen each other since before Labor Day.

We moved down the street to a dive bar for a cap-off beer. We held hands across the table. The conversation got more personal.....his marriage and why and when it broke up. Why he likes going out with me. His offer to vet my match profile, since he thinks I'm a good date and should advertise it more.

I think if you asked me once what constitutes proper date talk, giving tips on how to best date other people would not have been high on the list. But again, it seems to be a popular topic with the CFO and me. And it doesn't seem out of place. I thought, and then told him, why not? Why not have the man who likes to date me help me tell other men about...me....

This was intense stuff and brought up some intense emotion. We ended up back at my apartment for our "satisfactory good night kiss," also intense. Which made me realize there is good reason we only go out once every three weeks. It's exhausting, especially for something so casual.

2 comments:

Alissa said...

he has a roommate?! all this time, and i didn't know that...

Karin said...

OK, a. It's a long story. Next happy hour, eh?

That's NOT why we've been ending up at my place, tho....it just so happens he is always giving me a ride home...