Thursday, May 19, 2011

Sun = overrated

Title of yesterday's post from acquaintance blog Little Heathens:  "Little Miss F***ing Sunshine".

Coincidentally, we're on day 5 (and could it be more I'm not remembering?) of blanket cloud cover, spitting rain and fog, and we face at least 3 more.

Seems Boston gets one of these stinky spells every spring.

Weirdly, this year, it doesn't bother me.

I don't like biking in it, needing windshield wipers for my glasses from the traffic spray. 

It did, however, make me want to go to bed at 11 last night and sleep until 8:30 this morning ... a mood and a discipline both rare and necessary.

It does make me want to actually work when I'm in my office, rather than sit on a patio for cocktails ... an (otherwise) constant (and expensive) temptation in this neighborhood most of the rest of the summer.

It does inspire me to run 6 (or 7) miles around Castle Island when I get home after work, a breeze and clouds always preferable to sweaty sunburn.

It makes me totally game for drinking and karaoke tonight with Joshua and some Secret Garden cast folks, deep in the caverns of The Courtside's maroon-leather banquettes.

And, as a friend reminded me yesterday, rain now will make the flowers and the plants bloom in June.

So, for once, I'm not going to gripe about the grey.
Day 16 of 31: 2.63 miles
Day 18 of 31:  4 miles
May Total:  34.56
2011 Total: 246.76

2 comments:

Heathen said...

Thanks for the shout-out!! I didn't even think of the irony of the title given the current weather :)

Christopher said...

If cloud cover and spitting rain helps put your life back in balance, you may want to consider an extended visit to the pacific NW. Just saying... :)