Sunday, May 2, 2010

Hiatus (mais brièvement, bien sûr)

Last Saturday I encountered my bassist friend Ben (who is known to keep a wicked schedule and) who, for lack of any more poetic phrase, looked more haggard than I've known a fellow human to look. As we finished hugging, he stepped back and managed to croak,
"You'll have to pardon me. My eyelids are in pain."
I could tell.

Tonight, I think I know what that feels like.  The last week at work was more intense and full and dramatic than any week in the past year.  The wired state did not make for quality sleep.  It did not make for quality free time ... almost none of which I had.  It meant that a power nap taken Friday night at 9 p.m. in order to have the required energy to prepare for my Saturday-morning flight to Minneapolis meant that I couldn't fall asleep until 1:48 (at last look) prior to my 4:30 wake-up call for the 5:00 taxi pick-up and 6:30 departure (so most of that night's sleep came via sporadic napping through the flight) and resultingly drank 5 (or more?) cups of coffee upon arrival to have the spunk necessary (and desired) for a long lunch with 3 college girlfriends and an afternoon and evening playing Backstreet Bridge with my sister, mother and grandma, Martha ... who is almost 91 years old and (I'm sure all present would agree) was more awake than me. 

And here it is, 12:35 CST.  1:35 EST.  I'm still awake.  Thanks, 5 cups of coffee.

(Oy. The pain.)

I'm in Minnesota until Monday night.  Other than this brief episode of telling you how tired it is possible to be (with all due respect to parents with collicky babies), I gotta take a blog break. I've got to not spend the weekend wondering what I'm going to write about since I haven't had a date in 2 weeks and am growing cynical about the current prospects.  I've got to spend the rest of my weekend seeing more of Grandma and singing at my parents' church and coddling the nephew and relaxing the brain to create the necessary space to tackle the pile-o-work that re-awaits me Tuesday morning without lurching forth into a level of being-fried-ness and nonsense that I don't want to contemplate.

So .... see ya Tuesday (yah, sure, ya betcha).

No comments: