Saturday, October 17, 2009

The Martha Chronicles (II): Reminiscence

Martha (and my late grandpa, Roy) can claim 5 grandchildren, all of whom like to and excel at writing. Which is why Cousin J's idea of a gift for Grandma's birthday -- a "memory box", which each of us contributed 10 cards with specific memories -- was so prescient.

Reading through them today, as we are getting dressed and ready to go over to the party, certain themes arose as to her and grandpa's influence over all 5 of us: travel, cooking, cleaning, and love of family. Here's a sampling.

"I remember my (then) 85 year old grandmother boogying down at my wedding! You have always had a sense of fun! Chad and I are so happy that you were able to celebrate that day with us." -- Missy

"I bragged to all my classmates that my grandparents packed food and sleeping bags and scored us Twins playoff tickets -- I was so proud! What a treat!" -- Daniel

"Your red shell, VISA card and lipstick -- and you're ready to tackle Europe!" -- Kristin

"Why did we grandchildren hate to have our pictures taken so much? Ah, teenagers. But we certainly had an awful hard time dragging ourselves away from the living room bookshelf after the trips and the holidays were over and the albums were finished ... Grandma, to her credit, always did remind us of that dichotomy while she was taking the pictures, be it at Ellis Island or the state line of Arizona or in front of the Christmas tree. So we always complied." -- Karin

"Grandma -- you may not realize this, but I have bragged you up to many people regarding your willingness and enthusiasm to use your computer ... - and for so much more than just computer games! When I tell people that you have had to upgrade your computer at least three times since your initial computer purchase, people are blown away! I also appreciate it when you call me and ask me for advice on computer issues as if I'm the computer expert, because it is a real boost to my ego as well. And you make a mean egg salad sandwich, too. :)" -- Kristin

"Treasures to enjoy at Grandma's house: I was always enthralled by the witch you hung in the kitchen door frame. You had that wonderful box of old keys. Frozen cookies. Cactus in a ski boot! A special wood smell to the attic. Pink bathrooms and the little vanity chair in the upstairs one. Down comforters and egg crate cushions to sleep on. The laundry chute and a milk can of canes!" -- Cousin J

"When I was living with you, I remember rising at 7 a.m. to help you scrape the pain off the house and garage. By noon I was spent. By afternoon I was a zombie. You kept working all day, and the next, and soon you decided to do more sides of the house and garage until everything was freshly painted!" -- Daniel

"I remember Swedish pancakes and Ruby's Brunch Dish, Swedish Meatballs and chocolate chip cookies - we always loved coming to your house for the love, the food, and the fun. I have learned to be a hostess from watching you, Grandma!" -- Missy

"Did I just imagine Grandma once opened and more firmly slammed shut the massive door of her 2-door car while driving full speed northbound through Minneapolis on 35W? Even if it is just the figment of a 6-year-old's imagination, it should be true. In the 30 years since, I've never had the figurative chutzpah to do so myself." -- Karin

"Grandma, you give amazingly warm and comforting hugs!" -- Cousin J.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

@ Karin. Another product of the Mid-west--Ray Bradbury--couldn't have described your party better. Enjoyed reading immensely. Makes me miss my twenty-years' departed grandmother. Thanks.

Tashia said...

was so pleased to get to spend the afternoon with your family and see your grandma get her gift. What a great time she will have reading all of those memories (packaged so lovingly in the blue box!) what a great family!