Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Coffee, beer, big hands

If' you've been around this space awhile (and this space has been around awhile)*, you might remember this July 13 posting about multiple OKC promising but non-viable leads:

Lead-off Batter: 27, goofy smile, from San Fran, here visiting relatives:

SF: "Your profile makes you seem like a really witty and funny person. I would love to buy you an espresso-charged coffee and talk to me more about Pixar movies or running. I also play hockey and rock climb, so my hands are very strong and they also happen to be disproportionately large - perfect for giving massages if you are so inclined. As far as cure for cynicism is concerned - ice cream always works for me."

We exchanged a bit. I suggested he keep flattering me as he did, that I never turn down a coffee hour and I am indeed attracted to men with powerful hands
.

So SF and I did attempt a coffee on July 14, but his amended flight schedule and my work schedule failed to mesh, so we split a rain check. Specifically:

Karin: You're sweet, though, for the coffee offer and if you get back this way again, do say hi.

SF: Sounds good.
And I thought, yeah, right.

But lo, late in the evening of October 1, an IM message appeared with a familiar face:

SF: i messaged you over the summer, do you remember?

K: Yes, that's right. You have the same nickname as my old roommate!

SF: ha

K: You live not on this coast, I thought...

SF: so, i am going to be back around boston in a week

K: Wow, you're being proactive.

SF: ha - that's right

We conversed smoothly for an hour. About jobs (he's a teacher), food likes (sushi), book likes (someone else in love with Jonathan Franzen's The Corrections, yee-haw), and attractions (we liked each other's photos, and he's tall w/red hair). Dating, too, and a bit of sex talk that wasn't at all sexual. We left it agreeing that when he got to town, we would get around to that cup of coffee.

And I thought, yeah, right.

But lo, he did contact me when he got to town. We're going out tonight. Both with daytime and early-evening obligations, we've graduated beverages.... from coffee to beer, which most likely will drive the conversation towards our original topic: big hands. Maybe I can remind him that he offered a back rub.

With full knowledge that this might be the only time we hang out, a cute and gregarious (ahem, younger) man taking me out for a friendly beer is still a good deal in my book.

*(and this is is the 400th posting on this site. That alone deserves a beverage of any flavor. Thank you for your continued patronage!)

No comments: