Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Yahoo! indeed. Maybe.

Over the weekend, the venerable Yahoo! Personals sent an e-mail that....I Had 1 New Message! from an Existing Connection!

(Exclamation Points and Caps are Completely Honestly True!)

It was "Knows How to Treat a Woman!" from Arlington. Who loves my name ("sounds very Norwegian?"), really enjoys karaoke (and was going to be singing about an hour from now), and swears there are never leftovers when he makes his special hamburger hotdish recipe for friends.

I wasn't expecting a message. In fact, I had forgotten about the profile....last actively looked in.....March 2006. Maybe?

But evidently it is possible to be active on Yahoo! Personals without really being active. So I went on over for a look-see, semi-averting eyes.

Profile pic? Tan, bare-shouldered, tipsy, smiling. Holding a lampshade. Glasses from a couple pairs ago. Teeth clean. Green is a good color. OK.

Profile itself? Eh. It's peppy. But it does stand up a bit better than it might have....except that I have moved on from Pabst Blue Ribbon and, somewhat regrettably, karaoke:

The Opener: "The temptation as a former journalist is to go nuts crafting something witty for this space....but hey, that would be trying too hard, and I'm not trying to try too hard. I'm a native of North Dakota (no, not the Mt. Rushmore state), and made my way to Boston via Minnesota...."

And then: ".... Really wanted an excuse to stay here, because I always enjoy the energy of this city....walking wherever possible, people-watching, betting how long it might take traffic to unsnarl at a given corner."

And then again: "So, of course, I'm looking to meet someone. Someone who doesn't take himself too seriously...but seriously enough to have a good passion or several. Someone who works hard at what he does, but likes what he does in his off-time more. Someone who might not dislike me for wanting to hash out liberal-politic talking points (might even like to do the same) or go to church Sunday mornings. Bonus points to someone who runs half-marathons. Triple bonus points for a karaoke singer....in a dive bar...who would be ok drinking PBR. Cheers!"
Funny, that does read like I'm trying too hard. Like I read the instruction manual on how to write a profile in which I don't take myself so seriously and highlight my fun, irreverent side.

Digging further into my inbox, I discovered I received a response or so a month over the last 3 years. Which means I'd have a head start if decided to rejoin Yahoo! Personals. Which means shelling out some bucks. And rewriting ye olde C.V.

Eh. Double eh. Must I?

2 comments:

singinflute said...

I really like that picture of you. I'd say, as long as it doesn't break the bank, why not? If you're still looking for a "soul mate" then the more options the better.

Karin said...

True. But why does soul-mating have to be so expensive?