Friday, January 2, 2009

Patience is a (bitch, but also a) virtue

As if 2008 were a burden to be shucked off, 2009 started thusly:

Yesterday:

1) I ran a run that restored my enjoyment of running.

2) Friends A, B & C cooked Indian-style lamb and basmati and invited me over to JP to eat it. Which we paired with a South African white wine while listening to Handel piano sonatas.

3) A cheerful (yes, cheerful) Store 24 clerk at the corner of Broadway and H Street unquestioningly replaced the defective Krazy Glue pen with a real tube of gooey stuff. And when I went home to use it, it held my glasses together. Proof:

Before:

After:


4) If you're willing to go out drinking late on New Year's Day with everyone's favorite boy friend John M., you'll get your white wine subsidized, and will also have someone to hang with at Jury's to ogle stubbly men in grey t-shirts.

I was, and I did, and I did, and I did.

Then today:

1) It's easy to forget you're hung over on white wine when it's Friday.

2) The T came through, in a big way. My #9 bus driver was cheerful in reeling off their lost-and-found number when asked. I called it while taking her bus into work, inquiring about lost NYE wallet...and discovered that lost-and-found not only has said wallet, but said wallet is intact. And that their office is open 24 hours for whenever I want to come pick said wallet up.

Hallelujah.

3) Riding this jubilation into my office tower, I was ready to convince whoever was at the security desk to let me through on charm alone....since my building ID is still in said wallet back at the MBTA office.

And there he sat behind the desk: lanky, dark-eyed, shaggy-haired, college-boy holiday replacement (really!). He smiled (really!) as I approached and (really!) said:

"Oh, you again?! Last name Xxxxxxxx, right? You're all set. Have a good one..."
Then buzzed me through the gate. Surprised he didn't print me a day pass for re-entry if necessary, I said so. He replied:
"No problem. I'll be here all day and will certainly remember you!"
Cheers for the New Year. (Finally.)

No comments: