Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Storytelling (finally)

Yesterday afternoon I was chilling out on my Gmail account and got a pleasant surprise:

An IM hello from the first man (C) I wrote to on OKC, over 5 months ago. I can't now remember exactly why I did (or, even, what my first sentence is referencing):

K: If it makes you feel any better .... I'm on here because the 55-year-old man I until recently was "casually dating" told me he had a great time .... That sold me. I figured it was a place where people were a little less uptight. If you're up late, be warm. Cheers --

C: We should continue this conversation this weekend. :)

K: Hmm. Yes. You did promise that messagers would be treated to such uncomparable conversations. Sell me on it....?

C: Well, I'm surprised we never met on Craigslist.

K: Oh do tell. Have you a story?

C: Do I have a story? Haha! :)

K: Pick one. Come on. One with high entertainment value. I'll give you one back.
Eventually, our relationship morphed into a series of post-1 a.m. chats, mostly consisting of him trying to cajole me to come to last call at any number of local establishments.

Which I never did, mostly because it was the middle of the night in the middle of the winter. And he never shared any stories with me, preferring to wait until we were sitting together on barstools, racanteuring. Then we completely fell off.

But now we're back on.

So that's what I'm going to do tonight at 10 -- hear C's stories down at my favorite dive-that-isn't-really-a-dive, DeLux, with its fake Christmas tree and grilled cheese and reclining nude and (God, I do still hope) Smithwicks on tap.

I think he and I will drink beer and make fun of ourselves and help extend my wicked tired streak. Although I'm not really thinking this is a date. In all our chats I never felt he and I would ever "date." More bosom friends ... if men and women can be bosom friends in the "Anne of Green Gables" sense.

So while my reunion with C deserves this mention, this will be the last I'll tell you of C and his stories, because long ago I promised to keep him out of this space.

Which might be a shame if the stories are good.

And I hope they're good.

No comments: