Wednesday, May 7, 2008

You never take me to DeLux anymore....


There needs to be some pill I could swallow in between periods of dating. I have a great weakness: To constantly ruminate about my most-recent failed or unworkable relationship.....even if I'm totally over it....even if sufficient time has passed....until something with Promise replaces it. If we went for a drink, I see that bar and am instantly sad. If we once listened to a song and he exclaimed, "I love these guys", I need to change the radio for the next six months whenever it comes on.

In the meantime, a girl sighing and whining with regret is hardly an attractive prospect. So nothing with Promise ever takes over. And the rumination just goes on. It's an ugly cycle.

The "move-on" pill, I would call it. (Bio-engineer-types get on it, stat, and with chocolate-coating, please!)

The good news today, as you know, is that I'm actively on the prowl. So perhaps this time of Promise will be soon.

In the meantime.

Some new rules, going forward. If I ever, ever, ever think the person charming me over a latte on a Sunday afternoon is at some point going to NOT want to go out with me....even if only for a nanosecond....I won't take him to my everyday coffee shop. Or my favorite dive bar in the South End, with Boston's tastiest grilled cheese, that I bike by on the way home from work. Or even THINK about discussing musical tastes that are going to show up daily on WERS. I'm weary of changing the radio.

No comments: