Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Where are the fellow writing majors....?


Obviously, not wooing me on match.com.

It's been a couple days now. I'm doing a lot of scoping and, not yet, a lot of writing. Working on the confidence for that.

One conversation is percolating, however.....an avid outdoor athlete from south of the city "winked", I thought he was physically attractive and winked back. Within 10 minutes he asked if I wanted to go for a run. I demurred out of necessity, filling him in on my post-marathon running break to rest the foot. Now his profile speaks confidently of a love of skiing, running, biking, travel and camping, and how he wants his match to enjoy those things too, but says very little in the way of job, other likes, etc. Thus, I queried....

Me: So what do you do?

Him: I pretty much like to run, bike, travel, ski and camp.

Your turn.

Me: I like music, etc etc (imagine about 5-6 lines of prose on this line, including a recent project involving piano bars.).

So if you're not from Boston, what brought you here?

Him: I moved here and got a job.

(Full stop.)

So my initial interest in this gentlemen, while still slightly active because he's lanky with great hair and smile, has waned. After merely a day, the thought of writing back sadly seems a chore. I'm not asking for Jonathan Franzen-style tales of childhood whimsy and detail. Just slightly interesting sentence structure. A play on words. Some creativity. A return leading question.

Tangent:

Back in 2004 I took my dating, or lack-there-of, game to the craigslist
scene. (Hint: it's free! And as a classified-ad repository, a lot more casual.) And, I eventually came to believe, a place where no altogether woman posts personals....because every third male on the planet responds. I posted at 4:30 p.m. on a Friday, using my office computer before leaving for the weekend. An impulse move born out of some anxiety I had about being single...go figure...and I hadn't attached a photo or went into any great detail.

The next morning I logged onto my Yahoo! account to discover an inbox so overfull it had crashed. The night before at 6:30. Some 140 messages made it through before the fall. The majority had photo attachments. The majority of those featured pectoral muscles, both clothed and unclothed. Some had terrifically graphic headlines.

After scraping my jaw off the keyboard, I started scrolling, overwhelmed by how or what I was going to respond to any of them.....and picked a few at random. The threads mostly trailed off after a post or two....except for one conversation that perked up with one very sassy gentleman. Who ended up being two weeks-worth of scintillating conversation and, eventually, a pretty decent night out. Our chat was so clever I still think about it. And it still resides in my archives.
A sample:

"I was going to stay in with my cat Saturday night, so even just meeting you is a vast improvement on what I had planned. I live in the North End with two female roommates. Call me
Jack Tripper. I often wish I lived alone, but would probably miss the company. Cats don't speak, as you know." (Full disclosure: this man has an awesome blog......which I still, surreptiously, read, and will not post here for any amount of money. But you can ask to see it.)

End of Tangent

So the killer creative force and I lasted one date. But it set my wits so high that simple yes and no responses to match questions are enough to make me run in the opposite direction.

Ah. If I could subsume my writing snobbery. So difficult.

One of my dearest friends is married to one of the dearest men on earth, with whom I am also friends. He is hands-down one of the least accomplished writers I know. Had he ever tried to woo me via e-mail, I would have fallen asleep before replying. Yet...if he weren't married to her, I would want him to be married to me. He's that awesome.

I'll try to remember that.

Note: I am not on this earth to publicly make fun of anyone who thinks I'm worth starting a conversation with. Hey, I'm on match too. I guarantee that in some alternative universe in Quincy MA, a man blogs away about some witless point I've made. Nevertheless, dear readers, do call me out if anything on this site approaches cruel and unusual punishment to the psyche of others.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Karin,

I'll be reading your blog. Great idea BTW. I always loved your column in the County Star. Good luck with your "matching".

-Former President of SPC

Unknown said...

I'm all commenty!

I think you're allowed to be picky. Hopefully, you only marry once. You should find someone who you're willing to tolerate speaking with, after all.

And I feel sad that all of my college-educated, grammatically cognizant, active, reasonably emotionally available male friends is Boston are all taken or have moved away before I could arrange a blind date from 1500 miles away.

I have a sadistic streak, I think. :)

klk said...

I can completely understand your desire to have some semblance of a writing style in a fellow match. If anything, it shows that a conversation can be carried between the two of you as the "match" progresses.

On a related note, I feel I should share with you my experience. Darling husband of mine wrote me beautiful poetry and prose while we were dating. While I dabbled in writing in high school, I thought I was the luckiest gal on the face of the earth to find a man (boy at the time) who would write such beautiful words filled with emotion so much better than I. Then we got married. I have yet to receive another poem from him. :-( What a waste.

Anonymous said...

Karin: I can't tell you how much I'm enjoying reading this. Something to look forward to. Love the pic of John Ritter too....wasn't he a cutie???

And yes, good luck with your quest. Your Shel Silverstein is out there somewhere just waiting to find you. As you know, I had to go on one creepy date before it worked for me too. :)

- Your favorite older sister

Karin said...

Hey SPC prez....Can I be president now, since I'm the only one still qualified to be in the SPC...?

I'll try to live up to my stellar "Thinking Aloud" reputation. Esp. with such a discerning audience.

Karin said...

Hey all -- I want to be responding to individual comments. Do any of you blogger folk know how I can do that.

Until that happens:

Melanie -- you had single cool friends in Boston you never told me about? Wow. We need to speak more often.

KLK -- Your husband is totally poet material. My favorite memory of him is walking through West Acres late one night as he called out to a pair of snuggly teenagers, "Hello, young lovers!" Then he turned into a bouncer. How did that happen?!

Dear sister -- if only my potential dates looked like John Ritter. Writing skills would mean nothing.

Thanks all for writing!

Alissa said...

Karin,

Someone left a comment after your first post about success on match.com depending on all timing. I think that is definitely true. My acupuncturist met her longtime boyfriend on match. I joined match last year and had NO success. I got a few emails and didn't get any response from the emails I sent out, which was about two. And I only sent two because like you, the profiles were so poorly written, or just so boringly written that no one sparked my interest. As I remember if you sign up for six months and don't have whatever the fine print determines as success you get six months free. Did you sign up for six months? Of course I have my profile hidden right now and it'll be at least a year before I can "get back out there" which is depressing and annoying. Like you say, it's hard to be in your thirties and still single.

On another note, I do love your blog.

Alissa