Thursday, May 15, 2008

Mood: not entirely conversational

This girl's psyche has been tried today.

On April 21, I ran the Boston Marathon... six weeks after being diagnosed with everyone's favorite over-training injury: plantar fasciitis, a severe inflammation of the foot tendons. The only cure for this is rest. At the time I visited a podiatrist who said...."ok, so you're still going to run the marathon. But keep in mind if you leg through it.....think of if you want to run or not after April 21."

So I legged through it and, I thought, went on with my life.

But the arch pain in my right foot has returned with a vengeance this week. General walking is not comfortable. This resulted in another chat today about it, this time with a sports medicine doctor, about what to do. He decreed: to heal the tendon, put the kibosh on nearly every impact or stretching activity you currently do. No yoga. No biking. No running. No walking at any great length. And no high heels. Probably for two months.

At the same time, all other components of life felt disturbingly unresolved.

The monthly paycheck arrived in the bank account today, but it is already spent. Tried to book a ticket to Minneapolis in June, but held off because the price has gone up $100 in the last week. Can't figure out how to get to D.C. for Memorial Day weekend without spending as much as a plane ticket. Pants feel tight around the waist.

The last straw was when some twerp newby from one of our clients' offices called at 5:30 demanding vague asset allocation information for the rep of a rep of the client. We snapped at each other.

In a perfect world, I would now like to visit a potato field 5 miles south of my hometown in North Dakota.... sink cross-legged into the dirt, and let the wind blow over me until the sun goes down. But I'm in Boston. And I should really go to the gym. To do time on the recumbent bicycle (allowed, yes!) to offset the calories contained in a drown-my-woes Frappucino from a couple hours ago.

Am I allowed to cancel my scheduled phone conversation with the comedian tonight because I've been in a foul mood most of the day?

(No, you say. You are not allowed to wimp out. )

Perhaps I should be thankful that he might, just possibly, make me laugh. Which of course is the entire point.

(Thank God for match.com! you say.)

One can hope.

So appropos of nothing, here is my absolute favorite YouTube video, which DOES happen to be a comedy routine. ...a couple of kiwis from New Zealand singing rap-style folk songs. (4.7 milion hits in the last year can't be wrong.)

In case the conversation falls through later, I'll need something on hand to come back to later tonight and laugh at.

4 comments:

Michael Culbertson said...

I'm sorry that you're bummed about your foot woes---I hope you can find a satisfying focus in the mean time as it heals.

Thanks for the link to Flight of the Conchords---I hadn't heard them before, and I really enjoyed their humor. On the minor chance that your conversation with the comedian doesn't go as well as you might hope, perhaps you can take some comfort that you didn't participate in this one.

klk said...

Rest up, dear friend! We will be praying for you!

Alissa said...

is he funny? the stand-up comedian? it would be so bad if you didn't find his brand of humor funny. i imagine your phone conversation in which he's tossing off joke after joke and you either sit in silence (making him work harder) or fake laugh which just gets harder and harder each time you force one out...

Kristin said...

I've been hearing about "Flight of the Conchords" a lot lately - in particular, they were in concert at the Orpheum Theater in Minneapolis last week. 2500+ people bought all the tickets in very short order...guess they can't all be wrong. :)

Sorry to hear about your foot woes my dear. I would let it heal like the doctor recommends and you'll be back in marathon mode before you know it! love ya...