Friday, July 17, 2009

Back in Training

Aye, it is the steamiest day of our faire summer thusfar, at 95 happy degrees.

A perfect day to set up a new challenge for thyself ....

.... a physical endurance challenge ....

.... an activity o' sweating, measured in gallons rather than teaspoons .....

.... an excuse to supplement my core-strengthening kick of yoga, weights, and physical-therapy-mandated ab crunches while at the same time offsetting the re-emergence of an ability to down a box of cereal in one sitting* ....

.... something to assist in regaining bikini body form** from March, currently on hiatus (see: *) ....

.... a "No, I Really Should Not Go to JPLicks for Coffee Oreo in a Waffle Cone Right Now" challenge (see: **) ...

I'm trying to become a runner again.

Aye, indeed. I've half-heartedly tried to be a runner again these last 3 weeks. And I do seem to run out of breath at the 20-minute point (discouraging). I have the sensation, after weeks of bike-riding, that I'm carrying bricks with my thighs. I have beat my battle with hip bursitis only to replace it with chronic ankle pain (f#$%ing annoying).

But I have run through much worse in the past.

These are not excuses.

Besides. On Monday, I got an e-mail reminding me that in September I'll for the third time book 200 miles across New Hampshire with my favorite gang of running biochemical engineers, Cheap Yellow Mustard. On Tuesday, bought new Asics with extra gel cushioning. On Wednesday, registered for the BAA Half-Marathon.

That last item excites me the most. The Boston Half is the peachiest road race .... a Sunday morning in October before the traffic starts. Weather crisp, leaves in transition. Rolling swells through the Fenway and Jamaica Plain and the detour through the Franklin Park Zoo. At 13 miles, enough of a run to feel like a training challenge but not one to leave me limping and nauseous.

Now I've just got to get my running soul back in training. Sleep more. Ice the ankle. Eat something besides cereal. Kick the fatigue devil in the ass.

Figure out how to want to run again so 4 miles is back to being a joy rather than a slog.

I'm on it!

I'll keep you posted how it goes.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

@Karin. Given that I have only half the alloted cartilage in my right knee--thus ending my running career prematurely--I am envious. Bon chance, madam.