Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Cruisin'

So I'm headed out tonight on a Summer Music Cruise around Boston Harbor.

Yes. A Booze Cruise.

(Yes, under a forecast of "numerous showers and scattered thunderstorms this evening .... may produce small hail and heavy rainfall ....")

Eh. Why not live dangerously. Drink. Meet new folks. Maybe get struck by lightning. A perfect Wednesday night.

I'm happy to report that this outing, a fundraiser for the South Boston Neighborhood House, came to my attention thanks to a product liability attorney who has become a friend -- one of the Obama campaign organizers I met last fall. Mike lives a block away in Southie, so we see each other frequently on the #9 bus or walking Broadway on the weekends or at the South Bay Plaza Target.

Mike is also a man about Southie .... whenever I see him, he is on his way to a fundraiser or a community meeting or a campaign event. He's gregarious and open. He once took me to Saturday breakfast at Mul's. He has gotten me in the mood to participate in neighborhood improvement projects, which I've done far too little of in my 10 years in town.

I wrote Mike earlier this afternoon since I am clad in a lime-colored cotton sundress and wedgy sandals and had read the above-referenced forecast. He replied thusly:

M: Yes, the cruise is still on. The hourly forecast on weather.com is hopeful - only cloudy, temperatures around 60, and winds at about 10 mph.

K: OK, I bought a ticket and am bringing my windbreaker .... I'm holding you to the forecast!

M: :) I'll buy you a martini if I am wrong.
Then, about 10 minutes later.

M: Bring that windbreaker, we might have some light showers to start off our three-hour tour.... our three-hour tour. How do you like your martinis?"
I'm writing this much now, in case we pull a Gilligan's Island.

A fuller report will follow after-hours .... perhaps with a cosmo or 2 in my bloodstream ... and perhaps from the ubiquitous rain-drenched patio ....

No comments: