Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Outwitting the witty...

So. Month three of match.com moves into high gear. And I wonder, yet again, if well-spoken male types get so inundated with hits that responding to an inquiry must be thought through for a minimum of five days.

Or do they just not enjoy being outwitted, so to speak?

You recall not long ago, late last week, my delight at Hallelujah Man winking my way. An executive type with a sense of humor and the devious intelligence of Mr. Big. And a writer, it seems. (Hallelujah, indeed!) His profile was/is so yummy I wanted to throw on a dollop of Cool Whip and gorge.

Maybe I was too cocky. I know I have some capability with a clever phrase. His list-phobia and randomness was something I could match (pun intended). And I would match it.

For context, you must see what I saw. The heading above his picture read:

What do reddish roots, blue butterflies, purple plums, and open-mouthed orange fish have in common?

Then some wacky listing of nonsense that made me laugh. (Click link to enjoy.)

Then the declaration of intent.

IS THIS YOU (even a bit)?

Love to meet a smart, sexy, sometimes silly woman who enjoys laughter and life…a seriously sweet yet delightfully devilish person who doesn't always follow all the rules (or at least can look the other way when I bend a few)…an "on-occasion smart-ass" who appreciates the beauty of an out-of-the-box thinker with a not-found-everywhere personality (e.g., she can put up with me :) If you are creative or artistic or even just a bit quirky/eccentric/nerdy, odds are we'll get along smashingly well. Finally, I believe intelligence is the ultimate aphrodisiac...brainiacs...mmmm

Within minutes the following morning I was in the game. Occasional smart-ass and all.

K: Not to avoid answering your question at the top of the page....although I might wonder if one possible answer is "they are all colors in Crayola's new 382-count crayon box."

1) As a certified list writer, I enjoyed what was under the Monty Python reference, and have spent several minutes looking for a pattern in the chaos. So my question: is there? And question 2&3: why spelling bees? What have they ever done to you?

2) Do you think you could possibly be the first individual who has used "ginormous" in an online profile in a completely innocuous way?

3) Do you or do you not think nebulous is the coolest word ever?

4) Does it take more skill to nap or to fly a plane? Is this a silly question?

I've enjoyed hearing from you, or more accurately, seeing your profile come up in my inbox. Great smile, among other things. I am, possibly, a bit of your last paragraph...just saying.

So here we are, and where has this man gone? Has he exhausted his prose ability in the bravura effort of his profile? Do subsequent replies require simmering before serving?

Is he intimidated at the fact that I might have kicked his clever, devilish ass?

Should I just have winked (God help me) back instead?

Grrr.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I squeed a little when I saw Mr. Big. Yummy.

I think you sounded approachable. Maybe it's bad timing, maybe his computer jumped onto the third rail, and maybe his mother is in town, sleeping in the bedroom with the computer in it.

Or else he's overwhelmed by your awesometude and conjuring his own response requires proofreading by his own bevy of FWAG. :)

singinflute said...

I'm baffled...but then again, it doesn't take much. If he doesn't respond clearly it's his loss. Any word today?

Karin said...

No word.

I realized I did not write WHY I actually chose the photo of Mr. Big. Because this guy, in addition to sounding like the man, is also physically similar.

I do hope he is going nuts trying to figure out how to impress me. But then again, if a guy takes this long to figure that out......is he ultimately worth it?

Maybe, of course.