Friday, July 11, 2008

New approaches

Ah, finally some summer weather to sink teeth into. 80 and sunny and no humidity....Singing Beach, finally!, you are my date for tomorrow....goodbye pasty-white legs.

So this reveals New Dating Approach #1: putting on a two-piece suit and going out in public.

New Dating Approach #2: Craigslist Personals.

Yes. I could not find a more less-measured or less-personal approach to finding someone than the free online classifieds. Simply say who I am (woman, 35, South Boston) and what I would like to do (watch the Red Sox game over a beer on a shaded patio, for example).

No profiles. No pictures. No need to state occupation or religion or what you last read. Say what's on your mind, wait about 10 minutes for it to be read, see who else wants to do the same, and choose. Remarkably efficient and no different than standing in a bar scoping the territory.

It's the center of July. This approach would well-suit a week in which I feel adventuresome. And when spending any prolonged time at my computer looking over profiles and composing witty answers seems a pasty-white way to be. Craigslist is quick. Random. More fleeting, perhaps, but an opportunity to practice on-the-spot flirtation skills......which would also serve me well for when I'm at the beach, trying to catch the eyes of the passerby.

I'm not suggesting the classifieds are an antidote to my singleness or even viable. However, while the Match.com men make up their minds instead of just looking and I make up my mind whether I'm too clever for most of them (or simply need to work harder at the game).....it is a temporary diversion.

Just mixing it up and, perhaps, stepping it up?

No comments: