Friday, July 4, 2008

Good advice

There are benefits and drawbacks to laying one's personal life so baldly in front of an audience.

Of the former, I have enjoyed most receiving advice from so many diverse sources. (Saves on the therapist fees!) My cousin in Denver has one angle and says it well....my married MIT engineer friend in Arlington, another....Michael, the ultimate intellectual pragmatist, an even different one. And I can always count on "A" for solid Bush-bashing back-up when the situation calls.

A surprising contributor has been The Good Pastor, who shows up in the comment section as "D". We've known each other since I moved to Boston almost 9 years ago, although he was here on temporary assignment and lives in western Michigan. When doing work at my church, he would call me the "piano lady" because of our musical collaboration in worship. I like to think of he and his wife (married 47 years) as an extra pair of parents....dispensers of wisdom and, like my own parents, they occasionally send me flowers.

In any case, let's revisit the parentheses: married 47 years. We should all listen when he talks.

The Good Pastor and I have for various reasons been e-mailing this week. He inquires if I have been looking in the pews around me for any good potential mates. (I tell him I've been-there done-that.) He wonders if I'm coming to MI anytime soon, because he's been brainstorming on single young Lutherans to introduce to me. (There are no plans, but it maybe his effort should be reciprocated with some effort from me.) He tells me the story of how 48 years ago, he was looking to meet someone to marry and he asked his campus pastor to fix him up....and one of these fixes worked out so well, the campus pastor presided at the resulting wedding.

Perhaps I'll never get to Michigan to meet one of The Good Pastor's choices for me, but I did like this nugget of wisdom from yesterday:

"Believe me... the best male ones slip though just like the best female ones (K) sometimes slip through. I almost slipped though but the PLAN worked.. It takes time and energy and prayer (you pray but God doesn't drop them off in your apartment... still have to work at it).

And work, and pray, I shall.

3 comments:

klk said...

I must second The Good Pastor's advice. I, myself, found a "best male one" within the church doors. However, I cannot recommend the method I found said "best male one" to you. After all, it would be pretty creepy if you attended a youth lock-in at this age and played tonsil hockey with one of the young men (boy at the time). ;-) (Wow! That was about 20 years ago now.)

I will say this, praying about it certainly helped start and cement our relationship. Continue to pray, dear friend, for God's guidance. It is certainly the best advice of all. We will be praying for you!

Anonymous said...

Well, if you come to West Michigan, Karin, then you must come to East Michigan, too, and I'll see what I can do! By the way, I've enjoyed reading your blog and keeping up with you this way. Thanks for sharing your adventures!! Sarah

Karin said...

KLK -- So thrilled at the visual of you and K playing "tonsil hockey." Made my night.

Thx for the word to God, too!