Sunday, July 27, 2008

Aimless...(?)

So what to do.

It's Sunday night. I'm among the puddles on the patio, where the wireless connection is the strongest. Quite lucid, but on the tipsy edge, still digesting a couple caiphirinas from a friend's birthday outing....winding down for bed before facing another workweek where the stock market rides the roller coaster and makes both my co-workers and our clients nauseous.

The dating week is currently empty....although two items of note:

a) my match.com subscription expires on Thursday; and

b) the CFO is vacationing in California with his teenage sons. He wrote yesterday to say hi, that they're biking and getting a lot of sun, and that they saw a free Blue Öyster Cult concert on the beach. (Oh my, yes.) We have a date for next Wednesday.

While only 10 days from now, August 6 seems half a summer away of waiting. So I'm thinking an assault on match.com might be in order....go out in some proverbial blaze of glory. Write 5 guys a night. Answer anyone who has ever winked, even the dude from Portland, Oregon who wondered if I'd move cross-country for the right person. Scope, scope, scope.

This might be a challenge. With the drama of the promising CFO date and additional drama from a dangerous (and out of necessity, unpursued) flirtation at work, online dating has slid into ambivalence for me lately. Of course these are real people I'd be writing to. But these last days I'm craving the human, rather than the written connection.....maybe it's just the summer weather. The eyes meeting. The smile from seeing a man glance over, and hold it.

But in a week with no outings planned, to get to the humans I've got to make the written connection. Blah.

Nonetheless.....this is no time for a weak stomach. Four days left. I'm telling you here....blaze of glory!

Starting tomorrow. After yoga.

No comments: