Wednesday, June 11, 2008

W, sex talk and several Hoegaardens later...

It's a comment on the excitement of my life, I suppose, when the cat toothache upstages a relatively successful date with the Stand-up Comedian.

The date gets 3 Belgian ales up....

....we both got carded at Tia's on the Waterfront. This means that we WENT to the meet-market 7-dollar beer place that is Tia's on the Waterfront.

...he was hyper-aware that I have this blog. About an hour in, he suggested that if I were to write about him, he would, conversely, put details of our date into his next stand-up routine. We then proceeded to identify the moments that might apply....although, is it a bad sign that I now can't remember any of them?

....he gave me a ride home. We put my bike in the trunk of his car, then used a rubber physical therapy strap to bungee-tie his trunk closed. Before saying goodnight, this required me to run inside and fetch a scissors to unattach it.


....of the four-hour date, only 15 minutes of it was devoted to the unavoidable fact that he is not only a Republican, but a Bush Republican. And after this 15 minutes I realized that he means it. I then tried to talk him out of it by suggesting it might be my deal-breaker. (This was a sheer leverage move....just before, we both had acknowledged that he likes me more than I like him at this juncture....) His response:

"I like to argue about this! I think it serves to increase the sexual tension..."

Between whom? I wanted to say. He has not yet realized that sex is probably the 185th thing in line that comes to mind when W's image has the unfortunate chance of crossing my brain. (I can't believe I just put W and sex in the same sentence and let it lie. In fact, the mention of the name banishes all sensual thought in its entirety.)

So to not breeze past that salient detail: He clearly likes me more than I like him at this juncture. I'm not convinced that he isn't just in awe of my shapely running legs.

But I would be remiss to ignore a rapport worth exploring again when I return from Minnesota.....which means you might someday see Date #2b in this space. And that I should probably be nice.


5 comments:

Alissa said...

you can't argue with republicans. it's too infuriating. and a GEORGE FREAKIN' BUSH REPUBLICAN? do they NOT see what a mess where in because of this weasel? argh! argh! argh!

(sorry. not helping you to get ready for #2b and being nice.)

Justin said...

woah. despite the republican thing...whish isn't bad. a BUSH republican...well. that makes it harder.
all in all, the fact that you were able to dissect your "material moments" together is one hell of a charming story.

and...if maria schriver and arnold schwarzenegger are successful, there is hope for all.

Anonymous said...

My wife is happily married to a Bush Republican... :p

Anonymous said...

just remember that it was Brian who wrote that his wife is happily married to a Bush Republican. I wouldn't call that primary source material on the subject. We need to hear from her. D

Karin said...

D -- you took the words out of my mouth!