Friday, June 27, 2008

The intern

So last night's self-edict to a) run a road race, then b) drink beer, then c) bust a bunch of moves on desirable match.com guys was tempered by the fact that d) I drank too much beer to write or move much of anything so e) I went to bed, woke up with a mild hangover and was late to work this morning.

The night wasn't a sum loss. I ran 3 miles in butter-fat humidity with the Boston business community (the ritual that is JP Morgan Chase Corporate Challenge, along with 18 of my co-wokers) before enjoying an evening out on the company dime.

Over way too many Coronas, I enjoyed the company of a nice young man. At 22, he's probably too young. He's a senior in economics at Bates College, a world-ranked squash player from El Salvador, and the summer intern at my office. And friendly. We talked about whether he should pursue an MBA or a professional squash career. Our Chief Investment Officer took this picture during our extended conversation.


Nothing to see here, folks, and nothing to follow. But the conversation shored me up a bit. I went home and slept well.

2 comments:

Michael Culbertson said...

"Butter-fat humidity"? Wow, talk about vivid description!

Karin said...

Michael, look at my hair. That should ensure the description was apt.