Thursday, September 17, 2009

Mary Mary (another tribute)

It's nostalgia week here on the old blog ......

The music of Peter, Paul & Mary was a favorite of my parents, who owned all the trio's early-1960s releases. My sisters and I discovered these about the time we were old enough to sing along in harmony .... which we did, frequently, in front of the stereo speakers in our living room.

"In Concert" (the double live album pictured here) was a particular favorite. Its 1990 remaster became my second ever CD purchased. I still have it and have listened to it so frequently I can recite the correct order of the 16 songs, from memory. If you've never played air guitar along to "If I Had My Way", I highly recommend. Then go back and listen to "500 Miles."

Mary Travers had been sick for awhile and her death yesterday was not unexpected. But her spot in this world is a hole not so easily re-filled. Like her compatriot Peter Yarrow wrote this morning, she was

"..... honest and completely authentic. That's the way she sang, too; honestly and with complete authenticity. I believe that, in the most profound of ways, Mary was incapable of lying, as a person, and as an artist. That took great courage, and Mary was always equal to the task."

Between that and the incomparable timbre of her contralto, she was singular, to be sure.


No comments: