Monday, June 8, 2009

Normal

Today was the first day in the last 17 that I got up, ate my oatmeal covered in Dannon yogurt, fed the cats and watered the flowers, and biked up East Berkeley to the office with the intent of working a full day, like normal.

It's about time. My schedule and focus have been collectively scattered for what feels like forever. This certainly reflects in the last 10 days of blog entries, the majority of them summations of how scattered my schedule and focus are.

So far I have failed to write the entry suggesting specifically how difficult I found it to focus on a blog entry when sitting on a medical malpractice jury for 9 days, then going to work until 7 or 8 each of those nights, and making sure to not miss my physical therapy appointments and the hour of attendant daily exercises so that someday I can get back to the important business of running and feel normal again, while trying to coordinate 2 consecutive weekend trips to Minneapolis in part to make up for 6 months of not seeing my baby nephew and then while there, making sure to spend all possible time watching him scoot himself across the floor and eat pureed carrots, and in part to help 2 friends get married by producing the bulletins and making sure the organist got to the ceremony at the right time, all the while eyeballing my backpack every 5 minutes to ensure that my wallet was still within.

(Which, I'm happy to report, it still is.)

Not to mention through this haze, I have now officially watched the momentum of my dating life trail off into vapor. There are no dates known to me. There are no e-mail conversations in progress. There are no OKC hellos awaiting me.

So today it is good to be normal, sitting at my desk at 10:41 a.m., with nowhere to be but here, and nowhere to be after work but the gym, and nothing to do after that but sleep so that by tomorrow the scattered focus will have realigned to normalcy.

And maybe I'll start having some dates to write about.

4 comments:

Tashia said...

happy you are back! I've missed the updates!

Anonymous said...

I've grown winded just reading this post, Karin. Welcome back.

amcott. said...

Hello, Karin!

I'm sorry it has taken me so long to touch base, but when life throws you out of the court room, there are so many ducks to get into a row!

I will send you an email, soon. I promise.

It sounds as if you're flourishing out of the jury box, which is good to read, indeed.

Soon!
~angie.

Karin said...

Hey amcott, I can relate. I cannot stop replaying the phrase "advanced dental caries" like a broken record. Good to see you here!