Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Cynicism is sexy (evidently)

I registered a profile on OKCupid! on Tuesday, Feb. 3.

Which makes today my 20-week anniversary!

Twenty weeks .... halfway to a full-term pregnancy. Two weeks longer than a sanctioned marathon-training program. Thirteen weeks longer than any romantic relationship I've been able to sustain.

Late last week, for the first time almost since signing up, I went in for a full profile re-write. Fresh bait, so to speak.

As a result, unless the crappy weather has inspired a high percentage of males to stay inside, chained to computer, it has been adventuresome.

Bare-Chest now frequently says "hi" via X-rated IMs, often suggesting I meet him on his lunch hour, in his car, to execute said X-rated activity. Audacious Man re-introduced himself. At 12:45 Sunday morning, I responded to a flirtatious chat request from a man who turned out to work at a company just like mine ... and we instead discussed hedge funds and portfolio returns for 2 hours.

Then, at 12:45 this morning, checking e-mail upon returning from drinks out with a friend, I found an enthusiastic (much older) musician, seemingly waiting for me to log-on so we could discuss Ned Rorem and what musical I'm directing next fall and if it was too forward for him to ask me for a drink. I told him we'd have to discuss further.

"Stalking" numbers are also way up .... today, as of present time, 15 views on profile. Monday, 33. Sunday, 22. From these, perhaps 6 chat requests I haven't responded to and at least that many e-mail messages.

I can't (yet) speak to long-term viability of any of these situations, but I am heartened at the uptick in activity. Must have needed a reinvigorating shot of something ... and this is a shot of something.

So today I revisited my profile, for a proofread ... and wow, do I sound cranky. The number of times I (unwittingly, yes) incorporated the word "cynic."

To wit:

A self-summary:

South Boston girl by way of North Dakota....now 120-percent citified.

When I cross the street on foot I give the middle finger to drivers who don't yield.

When I bike down the street I gesticulate with "what are you, a dumbass?" hands to any car who rides my back wheel too close.

When I'm driving down the street I yell soundless obscenities at jaywalkers and bikes who run red lights.

I know cynicism isn't sexy, so I'm working on chilling out RE all of the above.

What I’m doing with my life:

Updating my dating profile. It needed a tune-up.

Surviving the financial downturn at a financial company, using 10 years of client service skills to sooth irritated wealthy individuals who are now slighly less wealthy.

I used to run a ton. Then I stopped because my hip hated me. Now I've started again just in time for summer on the Charles. (This is also a ploy to make me less cynical.)


The six things I could never do without:

1) Espresso-charged coffee in the morning.
2) Another espresso-charged coffee in the morning.
3) Espresso-charged coffee in the afternoon.
4) A 5-mile run at sunset, whenever I feel like it.
5) Musicality.
6) My ability to laugh, even when I'd rather cry.


On a typical Friday night I am:

Running, I hope. Or doing yoga to unwind from the running. Or waiting for the 9 bus after running and yoga and, while getting antsy, instead running across Boylston to the Vietnamese cafe for an emergency pad thai and riesling.


You should message me if:

You need a little light in your life and Debby Boone just isn't doing it for you.

Or you have a known cure for cynicism.

Or you feel like going dancing with a girl who needs to start dancing again.

Still pondering now what to take away from this observation ... and wondering if, damn it all, cynicism is sexy .... and if I'm on to something.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

In Boston? During one of the worse Junes in living memory? Why not? May just be the thing, given your Scandanavian heritage. Bon chance, madam.

Just a thought... said...

You may want to edit the You Light Up My Life reference given the latest (super creepy) press on that song:
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,528547,00.html

Anonymous said...

Move to Sydney, Oz and I'll marry you. Cynicism rocks my world.

Karin said...

@Just a thought -- oh my. I've gotten mileage out of that YLUML reference. But that is pretty gross.

Speaking of gross, I woke up this morning to find this in my inbox from a random dude in Sandwich, MA:

"You like to laugh? I don't, I think it is a waste of life. There should be no laughing in life... it waste time. Just like sex and touching. Class dismissed ... now go do some math! LOL YAY you’re the only person I have ever written this bizarre shit to... Did it work? LOL Did it get you all Hott and Bothered towards me? LOL I give great massages."

Seriously. Maybe another rewrite is in order.

Runner Girl said...

During my brief foray into okcupid territory (I've since cancelled my account), I actually had a guy e-mail me to tell me that I should rewrite my profile b/c I was obviously in a bad mood when I wrote it. I told him that was just the way I sounded, then he proceeded to write back and tell me that I spelled scarcasm wrong. I suddenly realized why this guy would probably be single forever.

Karin said...

@RG. Yes. Any suitor who would correct a woman's spelling without irony, and before knowing her, is indeed single for a reason.

When I first joined the site, a man hit me up on IM. I responded with a hi back. After about 10 lines of innocuous "how are you" conversation, he went on a tirade (yes, a tirade) about how, because I was not responding quickly enough, that I most certainly was chatting with someone else and how he hated women who led guys on like that and couldn't just focus one person, and then told me to f#$% off.

Definitely single for a reason.

Anonymous said...

I recall reading that Hitler showed similar behaviors in the Fuhrerbunker during the Soviet advance on Berlin.

Marvel Boy said...

The rest is good, but I only care about one thing ... what is the awesomely kitschy name that Dunkin gives their espresso-charged coffees--that I occasionally used to chide you for? It was something like "Shock Cafe," or "Electric Caffeine." Please remind me!

Karin said...

@ Joshua.

Turbo Ice, of course.

(vroom-vroom...)