Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Small, small Beantown

Marathon reflections are going to have to wait for Wednesday.

This is almost a better story.

Earlier this month, you might remember, I unwittingly set up an ex-date on another date, via the combination of my blog and OKC. When the Artist from the Western Suburbs e-mailed with the tale, I was, as I told him, stunned like I rarely get stunned.

Today I was amused to find the following Facebook message from "Random Blog Reader":
RBR: Are you the Karin of the Single in the City blog? I've enjoyed reading it and seeing some of the same guys I've at least received messages from (like the 22 year old Aussie). And I laughed when I read about Hallelujah Man, because I went out with him once. The date went well until I mentioned a mutual acquaintance of ours, who had briefly dated him. Then the date ended shortly after that ...... Best,
I wasn't quite stunned. Although had forgotten about Hallelujah Man. (Probably because he never responded to my witty love note, the fine fellow. Here's the reference.) RBR also went on to reference his interest in women's sweaters (which I also didn't remember having been a part of his Match.com profile).

Me back:
Karin: Match is a hoot, to be sure. My new theory is the more interesting their profile, the stranger they are in person....!

Yup, that's me and that's fun to hear from you. You are now the second person who has identified match/ok cupid men they know on the blog, which makes me believe is it a SMALL online dating pool in Boston.
Then her:
RBR: Oh, and I went out with MRothko, too, who was slightly annoyed that I insisted on Gmail's IM feature instead of Yahoo, but the first IM chat was highly amusing, so I agreed to meet up with him.

The thing is that the more interesting profiles make me more likely to contact them. Sigh.

It is indeed a small dating pool in Boston. I was telling one of my female friends about the dating parallels I've had with your own travails, and she thinks I might be your double.....
Maybe I should start a support group for 30-something female online daters contacted by idiosyncratic Bostonians with hankerings for (respectively) older ladies, certain types of their clothing, and certain varieties of chat function.

Although perhaps this blog is already taking on that task....?

5 comments:

Another Random Blog Reader said...

Hi Karin-
I laughed when I read your blog today, because I've been thinking about getting in touch, too. I'm another 30-something single Boston woman on Match.com, who's been contacted by several of the men you mention: the 22-year old Aussie (who sent me the exact same "you are a very sexy woman..." message), MRothko35 (who asked me out twice for last minute Saturday night dates without out realizing I was the same person), and MarathonMikey. Maybe we can form a support group? Or at least find a way to compare notes? It is a small, small town...

Artist from Western Suburbs said...

Small town: Three of the women I met and had relationships with all had gone out with "The Sam Adams Marketing guy". Apparently we have the same taste, but he never got anywhere with those girls.

I wonder if he had relationships with women that I passed on... I feel I need to meet this guy and exchange notes...

Karin said...

@ARBR: That is impressive, that 22-y-o Aussie. The original Audacious Man, it seems! :-)

@Artist -- your idea about having a mixer with all the Boston online daters still seems to have some merit. Imagine note-comparing, men and women both, over some tequila shots....

cousin j said...

Remmember that Sex in the City episode where the party theme was, "bring someone you're not interested in"? Could work...I actually did get a date from a party like that once...

Anonymous said...

Was Hallelujah man working for a local beer company and riding a motorcycle? If so, I suspect he might be (or was) married... If it's the same guy, I also went on one date with him, which was hell to schedule, then went really well, and then total silence. Would also explain why mentioning a mutual acquaintance would end a date. Totally fun blog (discovered through boston.com) - cheers!!