Saturday, April 18, 2009

.................Countdown: T-minus 39 hours...............


My lungs are still full of mucus.
My energy level is middling.
(The main reasons I took Thursday and Friday off from
updating you here.)
But I slept for 10 hours last night.

And it's marathon weekend in Boston.
The city is full of nervous energy.
Boylston Street is shoulder-to-shoulder
with runners and their families
coming from the expo back near Hereford Street
to fill the restaurants and coffee shops
and CVS stores
(for painkillers and Gatorade
and commemorative copies of the Globe),
all unabashed in wearing their race shoes
and carrying the neon yellow plastic bags
runners receive
after picking up their race numbers.

I just did the same.
In doing so I came just short of Dartmouth Street
and stepped on a freshly-painted finish line
that was not there yesterday.


I also spent an hour at a reception put on by
with my Miles for Miracles teammates
and my patient partner
Jayla (3)
(and her parents, too)
and cried a little bit,
because
that's just what these kinds of events make you do.


Very shortly thereafter I checked my e-mail
and found that my
"biggest fan"
had also sent greetings.

So life is indeed good.

I'm now going home to sleep some more.

4 comments:

cousin j said...

Ohmigosh!!! His hair is now combable! He has a part!!! Sweetness embodied.

Runner Girl said...

Karin,

Is it too late to still donate? I wanted to, but have completely forgotten (sorry!). I will do so today if I still can. Let me know.

Good luck--I know you will rock it.

Anonymous said...

Good luck!

Anonymous said...

Good luck tomorrow! I'll be thinking of you!