Monday, June 13, 2011

Always a bridesmaid....

Last weekend was Joshua's wedding, August of 2009 was Justin's wedding, and in 6 months I'll be standing up for Cousin J and her husband-to-be.

These 3, among select others, are 3 of the dearest people to me. I'd be lying if I didn't confess to mixed feelings at their marriages ... in all 3 cases, gratefulness for their loves and the undeniable fact that our relationships by necessity will / did / could change.

It is a difficult emotion to express without it coming out like jealousy.

Which is why when I read this "Coupling" column in the Boston Globe this weekend, I could relate:
"Surely I can’t be the only person who feels like weddings are a bit of a rejection – two people announcing in public that they love each other more than they love you."
But instead of succumbing to unhappiness, she goes on to suggest that there should be likewise celebration of friendships.
"Can we just take a moment to marvel at the fact that there are people in this world willing to chip in for your birthday cocktails and hold your hair back after you disappear them, even though there is zero chance you’ll ever give them grandchildren – or hickeys?"
Which I liked. I know I've oft marveled at Joshua (scholar and singer), Justin (performer and producer) and Cousin J (traveler and tough-love) in this space. None of them have given me hickeys. But even though things have of course changed, none stopped being my friends since finding their better halves.

Which for a cloudy Monday, isn't a bad sentiment to marvel at.

1 comment:

Justin said...

Just read this one-- : ) I know none of us have discountinued to marvel at you either, or the wonderful things you are and do.