Thursday, June 16, 2011

(Laying low) in the city of champions

Two friends posted these status updates on their Facebook pages this morning:

Mike writes:
"Boston, Massachusetts: Superbowl XXXVI (2002) Champions, Superbowl XXXVIII (2004) Champions, 2004 World Series Champions, Superbowl XXXIX (2005) Champions, 2007 World Series Champions, 2008 NBA Champions, 2011 Stanley Cup Champions. 10 years, 7 championships! Boston, city of champions, YOU'RE MY HOME!!!!"

Matt writes:
"In my ten years in Boston I have witnessed 3 Super Bowl champs, 2 World Series, 1 NBA champ, and now a Stanley Cup. What city should I take my sports luck to next???"
While I have embraced the Red Sox and the Celtics (Kevin Garnett!) through their successes, I'll confess that the Bruins have rarely made it onto my radar. In fact, when in Minneapolis over Memorial Day, my (hockey-loving) brother-in-law commented one morning, "Wow, so your team is in the Stanley Cup finals!"  I didn't even know they had made the playoffs.

So went my rationale for not jumping in and "revelling with long-suffering fans in the promised land" last night, despite the children "running down the streets of Southie with sparklers."  Sure, I was tired and needed to go to bed anyway. I also thought, perhaps, the true Beantown loyals would see straight into my faux-celebratory-you're-just-out-here-for-the-public-drinking hypocrisy, and I wasn't in the mood for a swearing match. 

Cool, though, for everyone here who does really care.  Sincerely.  A Championship City isn't a bad place to be.

No comments: