Friday, March 26, 2010

6 Minutes, 37 Seconds (and Brahms)

So it's Friday night and all my bills are paid and my 2010 census form mailed and I've got drinks plans later and lunch plans tomorrow and a new dresser (!) to assemble and a bike to buy (and new Asics and an Easter dress, too) and to find and a rehearsal to attend and some website edits to do for Mike's campaign websites and a Palm Sunday service at which to sing Bach, but no dates and no real pressure to do anything except for these tasks I've placed on myself, which is both a relief and a drag because I definitely do better with deadlines and I can see myself on Monday in self-flagellating mode because I haven't finished them ...

.... but, as you can tell, I don't have much else to blog about tonight, or else I wouldn't have challenged myself to list out these details all in the 6 minutes 37 seconds it took Martha Argerich to tear through the Brahms Rhapsody in G minor, the only piano piece I can perform from memory at a concert level because I learned it in 1994 for my junior recital and still play it hard every couple of weeks, and if I were truly ambitious, part of my weekend would include rehearsing this piece so that I, too, could put my version on YouTube, or other pieces, so that after 17 years I would indeed have something else to play.

No comments: