Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Lesson 2: Frantic is as frantic does

The mind is mush, folks. Mush.

It is my studied and experienced opinion that the moment my schedule goes from frantic (i.e. marathoning and musical-playing and dating all of Boston at once)  to slightly less overscheduled ...  I must scramble to re-fill the glass. 

Because otherwise I might actually relax with feet up, chill with the cats, and go to bed before midnight. And that, folks, would be madness.

Observe.  

While work was 9 hours of head-down phone calls and e-mails and heading off paperwork crises while sucking down several espresso-fueled iced coffees (oh, the sexy days I lead....) ... theoretically,  I had a free evening to follow.  No rehearsals, meetings, haircuts, dates. No real commitments.

OK. So then, why not bolt the office at 6:30 and skip supper (optional) to hit the gym for 45 minutes (also optional) before Red-Lining it to Harvard Square for a friend's jazz concert (again, optional) and then stop for a couple hours in Central Square, after, for a glass of wine with a musician friend (finally, also optional).

I enjoyed all of these things, all with fine people, granted. 

Yet ... here's a second weeknight where I arrive home at 12:30, wired, having nothing but a bowl of mixed nuts and 2 chardonnays to show for my evening's nourishment, and insist that I must blog before bed.

Last night's lesson, so quickly unheeded.  Once again I'm working to be my own worst enemy.

And the mind is, consequently mush.

It does occur to me that perhaps this is why I've lately worked so hard to find a boyfriend: I need someone to fill my time,  so I don't feel like I constantly have to. 

Or, maybe, need someone other than myself to save me from myself.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

To quote Groucho Marx, "I knew there was something you couldn't boin at both ends, and I thought it was a candle." Any other North Dakotans or Minnesotans in Boston? Might be the antidote.

Marvel Boy said...

I long for the day I'm back in Boston, when Jessie and I can be another stop on your whirlwind social tour. :)

Elizabeth said...

"I need someone to fill my time, so I don't feel like I constantly have to."
How undeniably appropriate that I discover your blog with this entry, only moments after stating "I'm just so tired of taking sole responsibility for my own social life all the time..."

Karin said...

@squigkato. 4:06 a.m.? Aye, my friend, seems you might need more sleep than I.

@Fire Pan. Get your stellar self up to Boston soon and lay some karaoke on me, dude! I need some healing...

@Elizabeth. Yes, I feel your pain. Can your sentiment also be amended to include taking sole responsibility..."for taking out the trash...or scooping the cat litter...or paying the gas bill...or folding the laundry....or (fill in the blank)."

Anonymous said...

@Karin. Thanks, but had woken up at 3:30 a.m., after eight hours' sleep, in order to read SF novel for reading group. Only time can read; nevertheless, insomnia and I are old friends, since my MIT days. Lighten up on the caffeine and alcohol, and sleep shall follow.