Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Contents ...

... of my backpack this afternoon.

For no real reason ... except, of course, if it's true that the contents of a woman's bag say something about her state of mind.


RE: Consumption

1 Poland Spring 1L plastic bottle, empty, on 7th use.

1 package Eclipse gum, unchewed.

1 piece of Eclipse gum, chewed, covered in crumpled foil.

3 Dunkin' Donuts straw wrappers.

1 sandwich bag of uncooked Quaker Old-Fashioned oats (which, incidentally, I couldn't manage to find at 8:30 this morning despite a diligent search, after which I then had to eat my yogurt, unhappily, plain).

RE: Health and/or lack thereof

5 swim passes to the Wang YMCA of Chinatown, pre-paid, unusued, issued 1/12/09.

1 pair Asics 2140s, including Tuesday's socks stuffed there-in.

1 folded printout from sportsinjuryclinic.net outlining strengthening exercises for groin strain.

1 CVS ibuprofen bottle, empty.

1 Contour Pak cold therapy gel pak (unfrozen, limp), 1 green TheraBand Exercise Band (knotted, also limp) 1 golf ball, 1 crumpled set of instructions for "The Stick" (a "toothbrush for muscles"), 1 "The Stick."


1 Miles for Miracles bound "Run Manual," also containing the following loose material: 1 special offer to rejoin WeightWatchers, 1 Healthworks Focus Training Schedule, 1 sketch of a left foot by the prescriber and constructor of my orthotic, 1 business card from said orthotic-maker.

1 pair yoga top and pants, used, inside out.

1 bra, brown, which I forgot to put back on after today's yoga class.


RE: Mindful Miscellany

The New Yorker (May 4, 2009), folded in half, featuring on its cover, appropriately, a braless, airplaning, zaftig woman with curly hair.

1 Barnes & Noble Gift Card, $15, from my friend Lisa, issued (I'm guessing) for Christmas 2007.


RE: Mindless Miscellany

1 pencil, 1 yellow highlighter, 1 pen cap, 9 pens.

2 chapsticks, 1 lipstick.

3 dimes, loose.

1 book of checks, no cover, no ledger.

1 sunglasses case (thank God) with sunglasses inside.

1 AAA window sticker.

1 parking ticket, issued for blocking an auto-body detailer's driveway, unpaid.

1 envelope, unopened, from the City of Boston re: several other parking tickets, also unpaid.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like the late Douglas Adams has channelled into your mind about what to carry with you throughout your day, like Arthur Dent in "Hitchhiker's". Hey, there's a precedent at work here: President Obama returned to Cambridge to pay off all his tickets while at the Harvard Law School, so you have time.

Justin said...

i have said New Yorker next to my bed.

Karin said...

@Justin - congrats on your fine taste.

@Squikato - by writing this comment I'm actually procrastinating the completion of an an appeal letter to CofB as to my current outstandings -- all of which I considered BS and that is why they are outstanding. Wish me luck.

Anonymous said...

@Karin-Yes, indeed, good luck with the C of B.

Given my limited reading time, I deduced years ago that I might subscribe to either "The Economist" or "The New Yorker". Chose the former; yet, I still skim my library's copy weekly, especially the fiction and, of course, the cartoons.