Monday, August 25, 2008

Talk about earnest

So I say I'd like to date someone my age.....but have found my most successful "relationship" thus far through a random Craigslist posting with the 54-year-old CFO. A fact I'm still getting my brain around.

A few nights ago, I heard from the other end of the spectrum, off my match.com profile.

From: 22-year-old man
To: Karin
Received: August 23, 2008

"Hi there, how are you? I quite like your profile and find you very sexy as well. Let me know if you are interested in conversing or exploring our capacity for fun.

I understand there exists an age discrepancy, however being unconventional and unbound by societal expectations I grasp opportunity by its desirability, not specification. Age is simply a number, inconsequential and irrelevant as long as both parties remain realistic.

Let me know what you think."

The Australian is back! Althougth you might not recognize him by that name..... Two months ago he was also on the prowl, asking me in similar tones about what kind of fun I thought we could have together. He affiliates with North Carolina, evidently lives in Newton, but claims to have grown up and been "baptized in Australia". Skinny, six o'clock shadow, shaggy do. Loves BMWs and wants to work for the company after college.

From all my bluster about grammar, you shouldn't be suprised that I was tempted to take the red slasher pen to his prose. But, wow....to be seen as "an opportunity of desirability" by someone 13 years my junior. (Lolita in reverse?) And that he's back for a second try after long hiatus. Maybe an opportunistic troller......although his profile contains the following earnest self-assessment:

"I think it’s important to be accessible, socially versatile and willing to explore new territory whether it is in the physical, emotional, or intellectual sense."

I guess then I, too, should be accessible, socially versatile and willing to explore new territory. And it's only match.com. So I wrote him back last night with a few brief lines, the most important being:

"What is YOUR capacity for fun?"

We'll see.

Meanwhile, men my age. Where be you?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

sounds like there may be fun to be had with your "Lolito". And an Aussie too! go Karin!

Anonymous said...

Hi Karin,

I've been reading & enjoying your blog for the past several months. I am envious of your ability to write well and find your topics quite entertaining. That said, I haven't found the opportunity to comment until the "Australian" appeared to me on match.com. This was just so small world that I needed to tell you about it. I joined match for the 3-day free trial yesterday and who should appear today but the Australian - 17 years my junior. Please! I'm a single mom about to turn 40 who lives in the burbs of Boston. He is quite a little go getter. Anyway, I guess it's all for fun.

Good luck to you! Take care -- TJ