Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Can Barack, in addition to becoming the nominee, also get me a date?

My emotions have been immersed this week in the machinations of the Democratic National Convention with Hillary Clinton and her diehards, Barack Obama, et al.

Most of you know I've grown opinionated about politics in my early-middle age, and that back in February, I spent Super Tuesday in a downpour outside of Southie's Broadway T, holding an Obama sign and yelling at passing cars. And that I could probably get into a fistfight with anyone who defends George W. Bush in the slightest.


Nonetheless, I realized today that this interest has dating potential that I didn't earlier think of. I just logged on to my.barackobama.com to see that there are 41 "Convention Watch Parties" in the Boston area on August 28 for the Obama nomination acceptance speech. Many include cocktails, all involve large groups of Democrats. Some of the locales are bars I've wanted to try -- Vinalia in the Financial District, The Alchemist in JP -- and these gatherings HAVE to include some men who who will be in a good mood about their man Barack and will want to talk about it.

A strategy for tomorrow night!

Meanwhile, tonight, I'm just going to enjoy Date #3d--yes, finally! a d!--with the CFO. Not purposely avoiding Bill Clinton's speech by going to probably the only bar in the US of A without a television: the venerable Wally's Cafe on Mass Ave. (All jazz all the time, baby.) Also not purposely avoiding the "where do you stand?" conversation with the CFO. Since he is a certified Deadhead and used to work for public television, I'm hedging which way he might lean.

But I'm also trying to take the advice of a few folks who, after the Stand-Up Comedian debacle, suggested that it doesn't hurt to keep the emPHAsis on the right sylLAHble when you first start dating....the romantic, good-kissing part of it.

So far, that's tonight's strategy.

No comments: